1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Willie Randolph in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 21, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Spnited is correct about (at least) one thing. Willie does have trouble with the double switch. What's wrong with Jerry Manuel correcting him on those definite errors? Could it be because both are basically AL guys?

However, I still don't fire the guy for screwing up a double switch.

2. boots

boots New Member

Casty, here's a theory I have. The Monks (Padres), Mets and Phillies are all tied after the regular season.
    What happens? Would Philly and New York play a playoff game to decide the division and the loser plays the Monks to decide the wild card?

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I'll let a rules and scheduling expert answer that one because, to tell you the truth, I don't know how it would work if that happened.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I presume they would use head-to-head to break up the divisional tie, like they did with the Red Sox and Yankees two years ago.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Head to head is only if "losing" team is guaranteed the wild card.

Took a little searching, but the rule for three-way division/wild card tie was changed in 2003 to be the way Boots says it is...Mets-Phils playoff, loser plays Pods for wild card berth

Previously, teams tied for division (Mets-Phils) would have a playoff with winner going on and loser going home, because that loss would give them a worse record than the wild card (Pods would be in) from the other division...stupid as that was.

6. From MLB.com

If three clubs finish the season with the same winning percentage and one team will be a division winner and another will be the Wild Card, the games will be played as follows:
    • The two teams tied for the division lead will play the one-game tie-breaker, with the winner being declared the Division Champion.
    • The losing team will then play the club from the other division for the Wild Card.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Which pushes the 1st round to Wednesday, no?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Playoffs don't start til Wednesday this year

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps_07.jsp

9. markvid

markvid Guest

DOH! Thanks, Spnited.
    Ok, but would teams still get a mandated day off?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I linked the sked, mark. stretched out more than ever for TV.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I saw that.
    Damn TV bastards.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Insane... WS Game 7 scheduled for Nov. 1

Draft saved Draft deleted