1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is U.S.-England "The Most Anticipated Soccer Match in U.S. History!!!"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 12, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sportsmediawatch predicted a 6.3 rating on ABC, but if you take into account and combine it with what Univision draws, I bet it easily surpasses 10 million.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What the hell is Univision? And why wouldn't that already be included?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You do know that there's a whole world outside your window, right?

It includes things like sports not invented by Americans, and Spanish-language television.

4. JackReacher

apparently not. But while you're at it, point me in the direction of the good japanese and korean TV stations, too.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cambridge, MA is not Middle America, and Central Square is to Cambridge what Cambridge is to Middle America. That said, I must point out that at noon, two and one half hours before kickoff, there were line outside half of its fine bars, and that by kickoff, if you wanted to watch the game in ANY bar, you were SOL. Fire laws.
    I went with my son and some of his friends, and some of his friends' parents and we got in and had Irish brunch at a bar then just kept drinking beer so as to hold our table. I was cynical and alienated long before I became a sportswriter, but I must say the reaction to the U.S goal, lucky as it was, was pretty cool if you had a pulse.
    In short, I think this World Cup may turn out to be more popular here than any other. Just a hunch.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is that supposed to be a rebuttal of some kind? Many cable systems get NHK, which is Japanese programming. You'll have to find the Korean yourself.

"What the hell is Univision?" indeed.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As mentioned, Spanish language television. Gets separate ratings. But it's still a U.S. outlet that is showing all of the Cup matches.

In fact, for that opening concert on Thursday, Univision got 223 percent better ratings and 310 percent more viewers than ESPN2 did.

Not all soccer fans watch the ESPN telecast, preferring the better announcers on Univision.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've been watching on Univision . Soccer sounds better in Spanish

9. JackReacher

Here's my point? Why the fuck would I watch Spanish-language television? I don't speak Spanish.

Yet you acted like I was the only person in the free world who didn't know what Univision is.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You should try it. To me the enthusiasm of the Spanish announcers is contagious.

11. JackReacher

Fair enough, but I'm good. Thanks.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Agree 100 percent. Got hooked on Univision in 1990 because TNT cut to commercials during the games.

Draft saved Draft deleted