1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trevor Hoffman a Hall of Fame Player?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 11, 2011.

?

Is revor Hoffman a Hall of Fame Player?

1. Yes - absolutely will get in

33 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Yes - but won't get necessary support

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. No

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Trevor Hoffman gets along with everyone!

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because sometimes we need to figure out whether guys were really good or great, and the eyes method ise notoriously awful at making such fine distinction.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Not all saves and not all blown saves were created equal.

4. mb

mb Active Member

Admitting my EAST COAST BIAS!!!!!!, it seems like the only times I ever saw him he was blowing a save in a really big spot.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I DO!

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Rockies in 2007 were certainly grateful to him.

That said, yes, he should be in, and I don't give a crap about ERA+ and all that other nonsense.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fine, not ONLY with our own eyes. We see the stats. 1.12. 1.90. 1.74. 313. 0.74. We don't need to make it any more complicated for these guys.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Hoffman will get in, but to many of us on the East Coast we think Scott Brosius or Colorado 2007. (That Brosius one was incredible, too -- Padres winning in Game 3 1998, Hell's Bells booming, crowd going nuts. And then Brosius just crushes it to deep centre. Think it was the first pitch.) At least Rivera has some hugely successful moments to go with his failures.

Hoffman is a Hall-of-Famer, though when it comes to stories about guys meeting their wives. He was playing minor-league ball in Buffalo when he met her at a bar. All he knew was her first name and that she worked in real estate, so he and his agent tracked her down with only those two hints. That's pretty impressive.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How is ballpark figured out again?

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I agree he gets in, but it will take a few votes before he makes it.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Don't real estate people try to be pretty conspicuous? You know, posting their names and phone numbers on signs outside of houses for sale...

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Smash, I don't think she was a realtor. I think she worked in another role.

Draft saved Draft deleted