1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Tony Snow a real a&*h9(^% or is the job one ?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Dec 13, 2006.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By Dana Milbank
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006; Page A02

To paraphrase Howard Baker's immortal question: What didn't Tony Snow know, and when didn't he know it?

The answer: A lot, and frequently.
    When will President Bush roll out his new Iraq policy? "We do not know," Snow said at yesterday's White House briefing.

When did Bush decide to postpone the speech? "I don't know exactly when," the president's press secretary said again.

Has everyone working on the policy read the Iraq Study Group report? "I don't know," came the refrain. "I'm assuming -- but I don't know."

After Snow spoke multiple times of the "urgency" surrounding Iraq, CNN's Elaine Quijano asked him, innocently, "Tony, what does 'urgency' mean?"

"Well, I don't know," he said. "You guys keep using the term."

Quijano pointed out that Snow himself had used it, forcing Snow finally to spill the beans. " 'Urgency' means that you want it done as quickly as possible, and you want it done right," he proffered.

When Snow took over as White House press secretary earlier this year, reporters found it refreshing that he was willing to admit when he didn't know something. This has become rather less refreshing as Snow, while claiming access to Bush's sanctum sanctorum, continues to use the phrase -- more than 400 times so far in televised briefings and interviews. Sometimes, it seems more of a tic than a response; usually, it's a brushoff.

Why so many 'dunnos'? "Because I don't know all," Snow explained, knowingly.

On Monday, reporters wanted to know whether newly confirmed Defense Secretary Robert Gates would attend White House meetings on Iraq policy. "I don't know," said Snow. Would the Iraq experts visiting the White House talk about the Iraq Study Group's particulars with Bush? "I don't know." Was there anything in the report that the administration hadn't already considered? "I don't know. Again, good question. I don't know. I mean, there are some -- again, I don't know."

In recent days, the "I don't know" reply has greeted queries about whether the administration would talk to Iran and Syria, Pakistan's plans for Kashmir, benchmarks for reducing violence in Iraq, the process of preparing the federal budget, when Bush might name a new U.N. ambassador, and whether the president would address the nation about Iraq. Even the seemingly obvious -- whether Bush would be outlining "a different course in Iraq" -- stumped Snow. "I just -- I don't know," he said....http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/12/AR2006121201270.html

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bill Belichick is George Bush's press secretary?

3. "Tony, what day of the week is it?"

"I don't know."

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

as much as i hate these people i don't think there's anything wrong with saying 'i don't know.'

odds are pretty good that despite his promise to be an actual decisionmaker in the administration, no one wants to keep the lil' ol' press secretary in the loop. he really doesn't know. no administration has ever really told the press secretary what's going on so why would the bushies start doing anything differently.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Yeah, Leo, but when you don't have any information a press secretary is of no use to the media covering the White House and, more importantly, to the White House because you can't get your side of the story out - which is the problem the Bush Administration faces and is the reason 71 percent of the people don't have any faith in Bush's Iraq policy.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Lets be honest, at this point does Bush even know anything? The President can't even define victory to the guys putting together the Iraq Study Group. The fucker doesn't even know. He's just treading water until he can hand it off to someone else at the end of 2008, along with all the other problems.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Am I going to get an A on this test? Gee Mr. Spicoli, I don't know. I like that!"

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tony Snow was a legendary world-champion dickbag in his previous life.

The very embodiment of let-them-eat-cake unapologetic elitism.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Media relations is a lot like sales. Never, ever say "I don't know."

Say, "I'll get back to you" or "Let me have so-and-so contact you."

As a spokesperson you need to appear in the know. Even if you don't know the details, you need to know who knows them and connect the questioner to the person with the answer or get the answer yourself.

10. Come on, he's a media relations guy. He's not supposed to say anything. And besides, he's supposed to be an a-hole. He used to have a radio show on Sirius, and I think on Fox, too, and he was basically an a-hole there, too, but it made for good entertainment.

11. Reminds me of a former SID I knew who (thankfully) moved out of the area. He admitted in court he witheld info from a reporter and was a general douchebag. I miss him like cholera.

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

C.J. Cregg would know.

Draft saved Draft deleted