1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Tom Cruise back?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It didn't live up to the hype, but I've seen similarly-hyped stuff which delivered far less. Thank god for Netflix.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Funniest movie I've seen this year. Forgetting Sarah Marshall might be second.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

See, I thought FSM was trash.

Can't stand Jason Segel... Thought he was the only negative element of Freaks and Geeks too.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Still creeped out by him. Avg actor but a movie star, no doubt.

Loved Tropic Thunder--tho' not him in it. I actually liked War of the Worlds but then again my idea of a good time is working through my old-school Outer Limits box.

o-<

5. Mizzougrad96

When I saw FSM the first time, I thought there had been too much build-up. I was kind of disappointed. When I saw it again on DVD, I thought it was hilarious.

There aren't many good comedies anymore. Tropic Thunder, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Pineapple Express...

Zack and Miri was disappointing. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I can't think of many good comedies from this year.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Actually, I think the past few years have been a revival of comedies. Since 40YO Virgin.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Step Brothers was the funniest I've seen this year. Tropic Thunder and FSM were Nos. 2 and 3. Didn't see Pineapple Express or Zack and Miri.

8. Mizzougrad96

I actually liked Step Brothers. Role Models is another one that had me laughing my ass off.

9. Both were very good movies.
    Collateral came close to being great.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agree completely, Mizzou. FSM was the funniest I had seen until I picked up the Tropic Thunder DVD a couple weeks ago. I watched it alone and I was laughing hysterically out loud. Not many comedies make me do that.

Ben Stiller is very hit or miss for me, but this was a big, big hit for me.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Cruise is in transition. The pretty boy who couldn't miss is in the trash.

Valkyrie will not help his cause.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

When I first saw the trailer for Valkyrie, I was excited to see it. Then I saw it was rated PG-13.

Draft saved Draft deleted