1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is today (the day after the All-Star Game) the slowest sports day of the year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If you cover a college football team that is playing in a late-December bowl, they're usually practicing on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I could always fudge it, too, and write a fishing article during the summer. Harder to do that when the lake's frozen over and even most the fishermen are in for the holiday.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You don't cover icefishermen like you do the guys who only fish in the summer, and the icefishermen work just as hard as the warm-weather guys.

4. jakewriter82

Yeah, pretty much. They're usually the same guys, anyway. :p

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It is the one day of the year none of the big four sports are playing. Technically, there aren't any games the day before and after the All-Star Game, but you've got the derby, of course. It's one of my favorite trivia questions.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What about NFL training camps starting up? Or is the day after the All Star Game too early for that?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is about as slow as it gets.

8. jakewriter82

There's the Olympics this year. I think U.S. Baseball unveiled its official roster today. A bunch of nobodies, per usual, but there's always the chance there's a local nobody to talk to.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's this year. What about the years when neither the Olympics or the World Cup are going on?

10. Re: Is today (the day after the All-Star Game) the slowest sports day of the yea

At least there's Brett Favre. :D

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There will always be Brett Favre.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So true. You know, I think this was his plan all along. Him and Radomski.

Draft saved Draft deleted