1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is today (the day after the All-Star Game) the slowest sports day of the year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 16, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is today traditionally the slowest day of the year?

If it is not today, what day is it?

Sorry if this is a D_B.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Christmas Eve has to be up there.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just coincidence, but I remember the NFL on Christmas Eve the last few years.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Coincidence. Wait until Christmas Eve falls mid-week.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But there is a college bowl game and a possible NFL playoff game then, right?

You might get some NHL and NBA as well as an odd college game.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

NFL playoff game??? Since when?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

All I know is this: every year when I had desk on Christmas Eve, it was midweek and other than some college basketball tournament in Puerto Rico, nobody was playing. NBA normally skips the 24th, NHL skipped the 24th and 25th last year. No bowl game on Christmas Eve last year, but the Hawaii Bowl is on Christmas Eve this  year. Starts at 8 p.m. EST though. If you have early deadlines on Christmas Eve, that sumbitch gets 2 grafs and agate the day after Christmas.

Tad bit early for an NFL playoff game. :D

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_Christmas_Day#Christmas_Eve

9. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Working as a one-man sports crew, I thought the day after Christmas is much slower than even Christmas Eve or today.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You'd normally get a college bowl game on Christmas Eve if the NFL isn't playing, I believe the NHL traditionally is off, can't remember off the top of my head if the NBA played or not.

This may be the one day of the year when none of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR or any colleges are playing. So technically, I think it would be.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think this is toughest one for journalists because it is harder to find good features to bank during the summer. With high school/college/pro basketball and the NFL, you can have a timely feature written earlier in the week and saved to be your Christmas Eve centerpiece. But right now, you are pretty much left with baseball (the exception might be a Brit Open preview).

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I've covered a bowl game on Christmas Eve. At least it was in Hawaii.

After a red-eye flight, I pulled up in the driveway for Christmas with Mrs. Joe and the boys at 9:35 a.m.

Draft saved Draft deleted