1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is TMZ a legit news organization?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd also bet their web site gets more clicks in a day than the top 10 (maybe even 20) newspapers combined.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

People love celebrity bullshit. Always have, always will. And there has always been and always will be media of some kind catering to that fascination.
    TMZ is just a multi-platform "Confidential."

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Far be it for me from the old-school world of traditional no-pay-for-stories world to criticize TMZ. If they have the discretionary funds to pay for scoops, more power to 'em. Give me ten seconds and I can think of plenty of "sins" this generation of traditional media power brokers is committing far worse than paying sources.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

TMZ is legit.
    We've got to accept it. There is a demand for the news they deliver.
    And they do indeed deliver.

5. CRM

CRM Member

TMZ.com scored the Jordan Crawford dunk over LeBron James.

I was thinking how if any media member had video of that, and it got out, Nike probably would never let them come to one of its events again.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

TMZ somehow independently confirmed the death of a man who wasn't dead and wasn't in fact even close to death. This leads me to doubt that many of their "confirmed reports" are any such things.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15600/still-reeling-from-false-death-reports-kimo-leopoldo-searching-for-answers-apologies.mma

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Lots of "real" news organizations ran with it. I don't blame TMZ for that – and I don't hold them to much of a standard, the M.J. scoop notwithstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted