1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this why Sean Salisbury was off the air for a while?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Dec 27, 2006.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I don't really know too much about this Freeman character, but as soon as I read the story, I knew it was bullshit. If it was a true story, there would have been substantially more details. Just an spook story that other sports writers tell their kids at night: "Rat on your pop, and Sean Salisbury will unleash his meat on you." I mean, there can't be anyone THAT DUMB working in this field, right?

Uh, right?

2. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that Sean Salisbury wasn't a dick.

3. Come to think of it - I haven't seen Brent Musberger in a while.

(Ha ha - just wanted you to have a visual of Brent taking a pic of his junk - Merry Christmas)

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Do you want an answer to that question? Right now we have a thread about a fairly serious issue where at least one person is claiming the government is not investigating while a government investigation is ongoing.

Last week we had a column equating a network's firing of an employee with a team suspension of a player.

This summer we had an entire page devoted to which other newspapers would use a certain three-letter word starting with f and ending with g.

These days, the approach is to throw shit at the wall and see what will stick.

5. And, still, there is bowling agate to lay out.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Make sure it's well-designed.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Did the commentator also take a picture of a falsified resume?

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

These latest attempts are amusing. It'll be fun to see where this goes.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

One time, many stops ago, a stringer took a picture of his Johnson, while on the hopper, with his kitty (not pussy) lingering nearby. Guess he was trying to use up his film. Rumor is he didn't think his editors would see or hear about the pic. Even though we processed a lot of stuff out-of-house on deadline, the photo editor came across it while looking at the prints -- and I still get a chuckle thinking of it years later.

Now I can say dude Salisburied himself.

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Shocking that there have been no "salisbury steak" references yet.

Sean, thy Delta Tau Kai name is "Swanson"

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Found this tidbit at profootballtalk.com:

SALISBURY SUSPENSION WAS KEPT HUSH-HUSH IN BRISTOL

As we continue to hear more details about the recent suspension of ESPN football analyst Sean Salisbury, two things are becoming more and more clear to us: (1) it definitely happened; and (2) not many people knew that it had occurred, even within the building in Bristol.

His absence was, as we understand it, abrupt and unexplained. Chris McClain of WFNZ in Charlotte told us on the air on Wednesday that Salisbury simply wasn't available for a recent weekly spot that he does on the "Mac Attack" show every Friday, and there was no explanation for his absence. Review of the archives of The Dan Patrick Show reveals a couple of Tuesdays in October in which Salisbury did not appear for what otherwise appears to be a weekly visit.

Is it a big deal? Given that hardly anyone noticed that Sean was gone, it's not. And that tells us that these second-tier NFL talking head positions are extremely fungible, and that the networks can replace a guy without missing a beat.

What amazes us about the issue is the secrecy that has applied to Salisbury, especially at a time when the removal of ESPNU's Brian Kinchen for uttering the words "kinda" and "gay" consecutively resulted in a proclamation on SportsCenter that he'd be yanked from the airwaves.

So why was Salisbury suspended? We've heard the reason from multiple sources, but we're deciding for now to keep it to ourselves. Although truth is a defense in any defamation claim, it likely would be hard for us to gather the evidence that we'd need, if Sean were to attempt to raid the PFT coffers.

With that said, we found the reason to be pretty darn funny, and we don't think that it merited the punishment he received. In fact, we were so surprised when we heard the news that we wish we'd taken a picture of our reaction with our Sprint phone, so that we then could show it to some of our friends.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The last graph does seem to be a bit of a hint.

Draft saved Draft deleted