1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Upcoming Fall of the Sports World's Rome: the NFL?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Feb 12, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

2. Babs

Babs Member

It almost has to downslide, given how ridiculously hyped it is.

I agree, can't wait.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

It can't stay this big forever -- it's bound to fall off. I kind of feel bad for Goodell in that regard -- I really can't see the NFL staying this big forever, and he's likely the guy who'll get blamed when it starts to collapse under its own weight.

4. beardown

beardown Member

I think a big dent in the armor is the NFL Network situation with televising live games, especially Thursday games. The games are poorly played and the games were taken away from Saturday afternoons on main networks.

The gross sense of self-importance also tends to become overwhelming. Belichick dragging that photographer while trying to shake Mangini's hand illustrates the relationship the NFL has with the media. It's OK for us to cover the NFL unless we get in the way, right?

The NFL is the Prussia of sports leagues. Very powerful until it did itself in with greed.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

That Belichick shove was one of those moments where I thought, "Fuck this shit, I'm not dealing with these assholes for the rest of my life." And in less emotionally charged moments, it makes me think, "Any time you start to have anything resembling sympathy for the people you cover, remember that example of what they think of you."

Here, of course, is a fanboy reaction I found on a message board, which was a fairly typical one:

"Please. Those horrible, wolf-like cameramen are always swarming professional athletes and getting in their face. They don't even do anything worthwhile to society -- a trained ape can take a photograph. All they are is a nuisance to the hard-working athletes who are trying to play games and celebrate afterwards. Athletes and coaches should be able to toss them around like the trash they are."

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

And another one:

"i agree we need new laws against the media they over step the lines its like get the fuck off the field you didnt play in the game your a joke fuking loser i think any one sees a papratzi or however you spell that you kick him in the balls and follow him home and watch him and his family doind shit then put it on youtube.All media work for scumbags anyway die die die kick them in the balls"

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Sounds like a second-string kicker didn't get his dues in the local paper back in Grade 11.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I do agree with the second part of the last sentence, though :)

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I hope so. I'm out.

Draft saved Draft deleted