1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the year we stop running MLB boxes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 20, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And that's why I say if we could only put out one page of sports per day, it should be the scoreboard page.

Of course, I've always said that without thinking it might someday come to that.

2. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

we already dropped the roundups a few years ago.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That logic is what is ruining newspapers. My god. Yeah, like people don't want to pick up a paper at the pool in the summer and leisurely read boxes.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i agree to a point, but if i only have 4 pages i'm not wasting space on mlb boxes. every market is different.

5. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, fred. that's what did it.
    (if you say so.)

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. It's a space issue, plain and simple. In a perfect world, you could run every boxscore from every pro and college and high school team. That's the beauty of the internet.

I agree with major metros running them. Of course, major metros have at least 6-8 pages even on the slowest of days. Not so for smaller papers.

Got into a major argument with an SE last spring about running a full list of MLB player and team statistics every Sunday. My point was that as a copy desk guy, I could use that 45 inches more efficiently.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Our readers are all 100 years old. They don't know how to use the Internet.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Then you have a bigger problem than whether to run MLB boxes.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

By "our" I meant "newspapers" .... and, yeah, we have problems, as no doubt you've noticed.

10. 30K here in Dubuque, IA.
    Closest MLB teams are in Chicago and Milwaukee, some 3 hours away.
    Only a 4-page sports section every day.

We stopped running MLB boxes a few years back.

It prompted far and away the biggest reader backlash we've had in my 7 years at the paper.

The boxes were back within a week.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

My paper is based in a minor-league city between two large metropolitan areas, each with MLB and NBA teams.

We tried to take out the NBA boxes before the season and were given hell for it. I don't know if thought has yet been given to the MLB boxes, but I almost guarantee they'll all be in there - even the previous night's late games.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

30K and the most you get is four pages??

Draft saved Draft deleted