1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the worst lede ever?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by senior_editor, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The absence of a comma or two aside, I thought it was fantastic. And that's the beauty of writing: It's open to interpretation.

After that lede, I would want to continue reading.

2. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

I'm always glad when I open one of these threads and discover it's not something I wrote.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's badly overwritten by someone trying too hard to show how descriptive he can be, trying to paint a picture that many of us can see without further help, trying to tell us he's a smoker - which anyone who saw enough of the telecasts the last two days could see - and that he's not a workout warrior like Tiger Woods and that his nickname is "The Duck" and that his ability to speak the native tongue isn't nearly as good as the Americans wish it were in addition to his trying to find another spellbinding, captive and timeless description of Oakmont.

4. Songbird

My only response to yours, SM51, is that I didn't watch the Open or any highlights, so the writer throwing in the smoking reference is illuminating.

What I'd like to see this thread produce is 10 ledes by the 10 biggest papers in the country and let us decide which lede is captivating, compared with the first post in this thread. That would be kind of cool.

5. blueview

blueview Member

Getting ready to take two Advil after reading both of those leads. Too much work for the reader to attempt to understand.

6. Songbird

Again, the missed comma or two aside, the first example blows Murray's away. Murray overwrote his lede.

7. senior_editor

senior_editor Member

I stopped teaching sports journalism classes a few years ago. Otherwise, I'd use this as the perfect example of how NOT to begin a gamer.

Badly overwritten? An understatement.

8. Songbird

senior_editor, if you would indulge me, and i ask this out of respect, how and why does this lede roil you?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's hardly the best thing that guy has written, but the reality is that not many desks are going to rewrite the lead of somebody with his track record, same as you're not going to bench LeBron for an ineffective Game 1. The guy won two APSEs this year, including a first place, and you've got to let a guy like that take some chances. That's what this was. It worked OK for me. Not his best, but not worth starting a thread over.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I really hate when there are threads like this and everybody dances around the name. If you're going to take a shot, have the guts to post the name, too.

And yes, I'm too lazy too look it up.

And it is way too damn long.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The funny thing is, he started the same thread on the Writer's Workshop. I didn't think of it before, but it sounds like someone has a major ax to grind.

12. Maybe they fell asleep 57 words into the lede.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.