1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the infamous list of the failed steroid tests from 2003?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by broadway joe, Jun 30, 2009.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Didn't see this posted anywhere else, and maybe it shouldn't be, but The Big Lead has an item about a completely unconfirmed list of the 103 players who tested positive for steroids back in 2003. This list is floating around cyberspace -- TBL is the second place I've seen it in the last 24 hours. Apparently it first appeared a few days ago on a fantasy baseball site with no indication of where it came from. I won't post the names, but here's the link for those who want to see them.

http://rotoinfo.com/read_article.php?articleId=318

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Deadspin has all but shot down the list as garbage.

http://deadspin.com/5304675/why-the-new-alleged-steroids-list-is-a-crock

Jason Grimsley, who's confirmed as one of the 104, doesn't appear on that list. And Jeromy Burnitz's name initially appeared twice, so now that list contains only 103 names.

Deadspin contacted RotoInfo, which stands by this list, "give or take a few." Solid reporting there.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, talk about running fast and loose. I hope the BLOGS! attorneys OKed running a "completely unconfirmed" list that might have innocent players on it.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's one helluva list. Too bad it prolly isn't accurate.

On the less than 1 percent chance it is accurate.....wow.

Fun to look at the list and imagine the fallout, though.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I know it's unconfirmed, but the only thing that surprised me about that list is that Galarraga and Santiago were still in the bigs in 2003. And maybe that Pujols isn't on it.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it would be a winnable law suit, from what I know about libel law. They are public figures, so the standard would be actual malice, or did the blog know the list is false, or did the blog print it with reckless disregard as to its truth. Proving that they knew it is false would be impossible, and given how many baseball players have been implicated and fessed up to PED use, it would difficult to argue reckelss disgregard for the truth. The question that proves that is, "Would anyone be surprised if that list WAS confirmed?"

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Assuming the list is accurate, and that is a big if, you have to take into account that this was a test the players knew was coming. There had to be a lot of players who were using who were actually smart enough to stop before the test. If Pujols was a user, he could have been one of them.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

One thing that argues against the validity of the list is that the players have generally been grouped by team. If someone made it up, you can definitely envision him going to the rosters of each team and picking out a few likely suspects.

9. Inky_Wretch

Might not be winnable, but I'd wager a couple of those players (if clean) have deep enough pockets to put the hurt on a blogger.

And, if nothing else, a clean player could destroy what tiny shred of credibility any blogger might have. Assuming, of course, the blogger has any at all.

10. This list is supposed to be in the hands of a few lawyers connected to the BALCO case, as well as major league baseball and the player's union. You know, powerful, smart people.

And the first place that gets the full list is rotoinfo.com?

Sure.

11. Say it ain't so, Brent Abernathy!!!!

12. Inky_Wretch

Tommy Craggs at Deadspin calls "Bullshit!" on RotoInfo.

http://deadspin.com/5304675/why-the-new-alleged-steroids-list-is-a-crock

Draft saved Draft deleted