1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the "Age of Ignorance"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

From the posted college, FWIW:

Anyone who has taught college over the last forty years, as I have, can tell you how much less students coming out of high school know every year. At first it was shocking, but it no longer surprises any college instructor that the nice and eager young people enrolled in your classes have no ability to grasp most of the material being taught. Teaching American literature, as I have been doing, has become harder and harder in recent years, since the students read little literature before coming to college and often lack the most basic historical information about the period in which the novel or the poem was written, including what important ideas and issues occupied thinking people at the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I think the author would largely agree with you, though you'd disagree over whether it was ever thus or used to be different.

And I do think that's where technology comes in. I mean, for a certain generation, the internet is a wonderful thing, because when you can look up minor details so easily, it allows your mind to focus on the larger picture. And you had a base of knowledge coming in.

Now, however... If you assume all knowledge is immediately accessible, how do you build an ideology, a worldview, and how do you teach yourself to think?

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The young and uninformed don't appear to be as enthused about this election season as the last. The interest doesn't seem to be there. They don't get to be on TV or get valentines written to them about standing up and being heard in the enormity of their times. Is this election unimportant? Is this election boring? (Don't answer that last question ;))

4. Dick Whitman

One of my best friends is a dedicated Republican who gets most of his information from The National Review and Fox News. He's also a very, very bright guy. Smartest guy in my group of college friends, and the quite successful owner of his own financial planning business. He's intellectually curious, but only about the ideas he has already formed. He does what YGMFKM says people do - strenuously seeks out information that confirms his pre-formed biases.

Anyway, to circle back to Zeke's question, here is what I recommended to my friend: Academic journals. Very few sacred cows there. Peer reviewed. Citations for when they make assertions.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A certain generation that grew up having to obtain information in the pre-internet age not only appreciates how easy it is, but is more skeptical about what they find there. (I don't miss those green guides to periodicals one bit)

For those who are 20? I looked it up on my phone, so it must be true.

6. Dick Whitman

They'll get there. Their guy just isn't at the plate yet.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

It's not a bad idea -- the Hofstader book was originally published as an article in a journal, IIRC -- if you can get by one thing: readability.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Fixed.

9. Dick Whitman

I have attended three different institutions of higher learning, and I never felt that I was being indoctrinated or anything like that. In fact, the vast majority of professors I've had have worked hard to hide their leftist biases and even push against their liberal students. The most outspoken professors I've had? The conservatives. And I've loved every one of them.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, some of the articles are terribly unreadable. Some of the good ones, though, have completely transformed the way I look at certain issues.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You're a pathetic, angry parody.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

QED

Draft saved Draft deleted