1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this really a 'clown question bro?'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even if you weren't aware that Harper is a Mormon, the question was stupid for other reasons.

1. He framed it in a way that a 19-year old should celebrate a good athletic performance with a beer. I'm sure all the parents out there are thrilled with that.

2. He assumes that someone who couldn't legally drink in the United States would have a favorite Canadian beer. How would that be? If he was traveling to Amsterdam would you ask his favorite type of hash?

3. What high-profile athlete is going to want to give a free plug to any product he doesn't endorse?

Other than that, it was pretty artfully done.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Agreed, but his religion is of no more interest than anyone else's (or lack thereof). I don't see why people are obligated to know about it.

3. MankyTrout

MankyTrout New Member

[​IMG]

This would have been the right answer. Stoopid rookie

4. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Clown question. Great answer.

We should be so lucky that every athlete pointed out clown questions when they were asked and we all went on with our lives.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This is the correct answer.

The person asking the question obviously grew up listening to wise-guy sports talk radio and thinks that's the way it's done.

6. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

It was a TV guy. That should explain everything. Move on.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/06/19/senate-majority-leader-harry-reid-thats-a-clown-question-bro/

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Maybe the junior TV guy was working on an in-depth piece on how under-21 Americans have to go to Canada to find beers, because there hasn't been underage drinking in the US since eight minutes ago.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You know no TV guys that you respect?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP
    Yes, Bryce Harper just confirmed that he is wearing "That's a clown question, bro" shirt. Says he just got it today. Wearing during warmups.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I fail to see how this question is any more inane than the much of the stuff you hear at press conferences. Typically, the first and last questions are stupid stuff like this to ease in or ease out of an interview.
    These throwaway questions sometimes end up as actual stories and break the subject out of the typical monotone - "just looking for a ball to drive," type of answers.
    I was in on an interview with a police official, we talked about the budget issues, recruiting, etc. And then when the recorder was clicked off I asked him about the "Smokey" hats they wore. The official gave a more heart-felt answer to that one than any of the others. We led with it. And more people probably read that story than any other of the typical "official discusses budget" stories that ran that year.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's a clown question trademark, bro:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/bryce-harper-applies-for-clown-question-trademark-under-armour-cashes-in/2012/06/21/gJQAAuiytV_blog.html

Draft saved Draft deleted