1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this really a 'clown question bro?'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Harper seems to think his job is very serious ... like it actually means something ... and a question about having a beer is so outlandish as not to be entertained.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Kurt Busch will probably order a dozen ... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My sentiments exactly.

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

Yes, I took it as Harper poking a little bit of fun at the PR guy while also making it clear he wasn't going to be bothered with the question.

5. Just because he's Mormon doesn't mean he's not capable of responding to questions by saying, "I'd prefer not to answer that." "Or, I'm a Mormon, so I don't drink!"

Although for the record, Mormon or not, I'd be stunned if he didn't drink and screw and do everything a 19-year-old athlete gazillionaire would and should do.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He did originally say he's not going to answer that, and he heard the Nats PR flak say it was a clown question, so he just repeated it. Again, NBD.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A 19-year-old in the major leagues certainly handled this question a lot better than the NBA Commissioner just did on the Jim Rome radio show.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Who was the clown who asked the question? I'd say he's aspiring to be a sports radio host calling girls lacrosse games in Saskatoon.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I don't think the question or the answer makes either side look bad or stupid -- unless the reporter knew Harper was LDS, which I doubt he did.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I would be stunned if he did.

Some people take their religion seriously.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

1. It is a clown question. Clown questions are allowed in the entertainment business. Nothing wrong there.
    2. The PR guy has the duty to look out for a 19 year old rookie, and his objection was reasonable. Nothing wrong there.
    3. Harper repeating the PR guy and moving on was a fine response. Nothing wrong there.

So yeah, like BigPern said, no big deal.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Harper handled that just fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted