1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this normal after a paper gets sold?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Up here in Canada we are going through a sale. My only advice is be professional--you never know who is watching.
    An oldtimer in the news room told us a story that was similar to the Simpsons episode where the Germans bought the power plant.
    The sports department had a total screwup and the new company came in and said there were going to be layoffs.
    A day goes by and the only layoff was the sports guy, everyone else was safe.

Attention workers, we have completed our evaluation of the plant. We regret
    to announce the following lay-offs, which I will read in alphabetical order:
    Simpson, Homer.
    That is all.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I agree with all of those on this thread saying that you should treat the situation as a professional. Work as hard as you always do and whatever happens, happens. I hope for your sake that all goes well. Hang in there.

3. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

That's the plan for all of us in our newsroom ... I did hear one other paper in Mid-South (S.C. I believe) had a mass walk-out over this last week. Wow ... We're just eager to know what the future holds...

4. boots

boots New Member

Don't give them a reason to let you go. A mass walk out gives them that reason.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Are you a Quebecor-bound Ospreyite as well?

Draft saved Draft deleted