1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This In Poor Taste?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Complaining about the date of someone else's wedding because it is an inconvenience is in poor taste.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Eh, for whatever its worth, I'll buck the tide and say I agree with you, Pete.

There's a reason weddings are cheaper a week before christmas. Its a piss-poor time to have a wedding. Do a poll of the people attending on Saturday. They'd agree.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

To think that couples are not obligated to consider their guests when planning wedding with receptions is ludicrous.
    Whatever happened to politeness and manners?
    The enjoyment of the guests is the most important part.
    It is inconsiderate to schedule a wedding at Christmas if you know it will be especially disruptive or inconvenient for most of the people you want to attend.

That said, your wife had the opportunity to politely point that out. She could have RSVPed in the negative with a little note saying 'Your participation in our wedding meant so much to us. We really wish we could attend, but long-standing family traditions and obligations during the holidays preclude that. We hope you understand and wish you happiness in your marriage.'

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good thing you didn't notice all those months ago how much you'd be inconvenienced by this!

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's not as though you didn't know Christmas was on Dec. 25 this year.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm a 39-year-old, middle-class man. Can I use the word 'gat'?

7. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

I always thought the vow of taking one person as your partner until death do you part was the most important part. Maybe that's just me.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You don't have to invite guests for that.
    When you invite guests for a reception, their enjoyment becomes the focus of the reception.
    Just to clarify.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Heck with all the Christmas sales going on, I think it's a very good time to get married. Unless they live in an area where whether might be a travel concern.
    Guests don't have to spend as much money on gifts. The bride and groom probably got a price break from some of the wedding contractors. Maybe go nothing but poinsettias for floral arrangements (big savings).
    It's probably just another holiday party for most.
    The wedding party and their families get to be together during the holidays (don't know if they're both from the area or have families that will have to fly in).
    TAX BREAK!!!!

10. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Point taken. And in a way, I agree. Yes, your guests' enjoyment is important. But making every little thing convenient for them, especially the date, is not as important.

I just got married in June. We did a TON to make sure our guests had a good time, ate well, had plenty to drink, and had a shuttle to ride them back to the hotel so nobody had to worry about drinking and driving.

And I'm hoping that the bride and groom Pete is attending Saturday are doing the same thing. But in the end, it's THEIR day, and the guests would do well to remember that.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, a lot has to do with who you're inviting.
    If 80 percent of the expected guests are Hindu, this weekend is not much of an inconvenience.
    If your larger family as a whole has a long tradition of holiday-season weddings, go for it.
    My point is about the planning of events and parties, of occassions.
    When you invite people to an occassion, you are the host, so the guests become your concern.

Of course, guests have obligations of politeness, too.
    And Pete and his wife had the option of politely declining the invitation, and they had a very legitimate excuse for declining.
    I don't begrudge the guy grousing about the wedding here, but he has an obligation of politeness when he attends the wedding.
    In the meanwhile, go ahead and complain.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope I don't have to go to another wedding until my kids get married. I've probably been to 50 in the last 7-8 years and I've been in 11 of them.

I had a friend get married three days after Christmas in Lake Tahoe and it was a pretty cool deal. Doing it right before Christmas is a little more of a pain in the ass than just after.

Just be glad it's not a destination wedding. Those are the biggest pain in the ass ever. Two of my best friends did it and I'm still cursing them years later. I don't mind traveling across the country to go to a wedding, but don't ask me to have to pay to fly to a resort in Mexico or the Keys or some island to go to your wedding. I've always thought that was incredibly rude.

Draft saved Draft deleted