1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This In Poor Taste?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 16, 2009.

1. I say go ahead and complain now. Mutter under your breath, grumble about it, pound the keys of your keyboard extra hard and get it all out of your system. I'm with you. It's weird to get married six days before Christmas and it's just one more thing to deal with for all the guests who were already super-busy this time of year.

But get it out of your system before the wedding. That will be their day. When you wake up that morning, put it out of your head, go enjoy yourself and be happy for two people who are about to do something really special.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My only problem would be dragging people out in potentially bad weather.

If there is an ice storm or a snow storm on that day and people are traveling 100s of miles, that would be my big concern.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree. They made their choice about when they wanted their wedding. It's about them, not you. If it is that big a deal for you, send a gift and tell them you are sorry you can't attend.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tuesday is my first anniversary.

Combining a planned-a-year-in-advance trip to see family at Christmas with a meet-the-bride-and-watch-us-get-married was a magical convergence that worked out well for everyone.

I knew it would be a terrible inconvenience for any of my friends to travel 1,000 miles. So none were invited. Saved them a ton of trouble or the awkwardness of saying "sorry, can't attend."

And I'm staggered that people really believe it matters to the bride and groom who exactly is out in the audience. Are they really counting heads and noticing that, "Ah, Pete didn't come after we went to his wedding. What a jerk." ?

I had an aunt and uncle that didn't come to mine because they could not find the chapel on their first attempt (days before) and did not want to take a chance on getting lost amid a bunch of curvy, mountainous roads.

Big deal. I don't hold that against them.

5. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

There's nothing about this that's in "poor taste." I've been to weddings over the holidays, over holiday weekends, etc. You just deal. It's their day, not yours. Some people get married on Fridays, and that's pretty damn inconvenient, too. But it's certainly not "poor taste."

Your friends decided to pick the Saturday before Christmas for their wedding. They knew going in that it is not a great time for people, and they most likely know that they will have a handful less people attend because of it. If you are so inconvenienced that you can't go, then send a nice gift along with regrets.

But complaning about costs, etc., because of the time of the year isn't an excuse, either. If the bride stood in your wedding, chances are you've known for a while when their wedding would be. You had time to put gift and travel money aside.

Just forget about how it's not a perfect time to be going to a wedding. I'm sure it'll be a very nice event, good food and drink, good friends and a beautiful union. Go have fun!

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What's in "bad taste" is bitching about the date someone chooses to get married.

Hell, they could have it on the second Saturday in July and someone would whine about how inconvenient it is and how it means they won't be able to go up to the lake that weekend.

Christmas is ONE day of the year. Hell, you guys don't even get Boxing Day off.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't get this complaining. If you don't like it, don't friggin' go or even send a gift.

Why let this crap bother you?

If you go, smile and quit bitching.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You new to SJ? :)

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry. Holiday cheer overcame me. Won't happen again.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that was kind of my question - is WHAT in poor taste? The date or bitching about the date?
    The date? No. It is their wedding.
    Bitching about the date? Yes. It is their wedding.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Plus, depending on where you are, wedding costs are cheaper during the winter time.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Perhaps the bride just wants to tie the knot before she begins to show.

Draft saved Draft deleted