1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this high school blog post appropriate?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NorthTX76, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I do not know the writer. I wasn't present at the game. And I would still bet my daughter's life that this blogger talked to neither the kid he was ripping, nor the coach whose strategy he was ripping.

As for your semantics game with the "17-year-old who can't hit/swing a bat" ... you say tomato, I say tomahto.

Look, I don't mean to pick on this individual blogger. As I've noted in an earlier post, this is basically my pet peeve in the business right now. I hate, hate, hate the rip and run. And that's essentially what this is.

If this were a newspaper story, a good reporter would give the kid/other coach a chance to defend himself. And a good editor would make that reporter do it.

But because it's "just a blog!" ... journalistic standards go out the fuckin' window.

2. jps

jps Active Member

no, you're right, guy. because there is a difference, in my mind, in blogs!

a blog from a sports writer, on the newspaper's web site, is on one level and, in my mind, there are higher standards. regardless of the format, this guy is still supposed to be a professional. (the lower tier would be everyone else. they aren't held to as high a standard and I don't expect them to be professional.)

oh, and the forum for what the journalist is thinking is called a column.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And yet, what outrage -- and rightfully so -- would come down upon the writer had he written some of this in a print column.

Draft saved Draft deleted