1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this high school blog post appropriate?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NorthTX76, Apr 9, 2009.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I stopped reading at his first use of "props." Sorry.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mad props for that post, grans!

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I wasn't nearly as put off by this as most of you seem to be.

The suggestion to throw at the kid's head went too far, but as long as the rest of it was true, I don't see much of a problem. If you're going to be bush league, you have to be prepared to be criticized for it. If you're ok with that, fine. If you're not, then play ball like everybody else.

Maybe the tone was a little spiteful, but, I dunno, it's not that big of a deal to me.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

So we're using Urban Dictionary as an acceptable reference now?

5. jps

jps Active Member

wikipedia says that urban dictionary is acceptable.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wrong.

7. jps

jps Active Member

mostly right. with few exceptions. not one of em here -- 'hey, this guy's varsity and he sucks!' seriously?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

Agreed, but the blanket statement was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. jps

jps Active Member

sure - revise it to 'never a reason to call out a high school athlete for his/her on-field performance,' and I think we've got a winner.

10. JackReacher

Winna, winna!!

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just saying that the writer didn't pull the term out thin air.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

In addition to some of the criticism leveled here, one of the things that turned me off was the bragging on his own fifth-grade(!) playing days (I understand a "I once played with a kid like this" reference, but it was a whole graf) and using the "it's a good thing I didn't play varsity baseball" in addition to the beaning reference.

That made me understand, right away, that he's one of those sportswriters who clearly couldn't hack it on the playing field and therefore got into the business so he could safely fire back at the jocks who picked on him. And I have very little respect for those types.

Draft saved Draft deleted