1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this guy trying to scam me?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SnoopyBoy, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I listed a truck I'm selling on craigslist and exchanged an email with a guy wanting to buy. He sends me this, and it has me a little skeptical. Is this a scam?...

Thanks for getting back to me,i would have love to come down for a look but i have no chance now. I am very busy at work for an assignment also due to my condition i would have called you cuz i am deaf man, but i am satisfy with the description and the condition of the 2005 Chevy truck. I will like to make payment right away, and i will be sending your payment for 2005 Chevy truck with a cashier check, because i have no chance to come down and i will like you to please bear with me. And as for the pick up of the item i will know how to handle that with my mover, as soon as you cash the payment the mover will come for the pick up as soon as possible. All you have to do is to mail me and give me the description to your place to make it easier for the mover to come and do the pick up as soon as you cash the payment. I will send you your payment as soon as you give me the info to write the payment. I have red through the advert and i am okay with it, so kindly withdraw the advart from the web and please i will need the following informations to post the payment.

Full Name that will be on check
    Home and Mobile Phone
    Home Address
    City
    State
    Zip Code

Please go and withdrawl the advert on net to avoid disturbance as i have believe its almost mine now.Please mail me as soon as possible to let me know if you are ok with this.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

All signs point to, "Yes."

I've read almost this exact message on another thread with a similar title, so I'm pretty sure it's a scam.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

SCAM!

Do not agree to this.

No way, no how.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nah, it looks legit. :)

All you have to do is to mail me and give me the description to your place to make it easier for the mover to come and do the pick up

Just tell me where you live so I can come by at 3:00 am and steal your truck.

I thought the "deaf" thing was a nice touch.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Don't forget the part about not being able to call. I'm pretty sure TTY phones are still around.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If you have to ask, the answer's probably yes.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Ive been looking for truck to buy. If you wish me to buy truck, I can offer full asking price plus more. But I do not have checking account, so if you please to sell truck to me, I should have you give me your checking number and pin and I would transfer funds ASAP. I wish to buy truck, so please remove advert at this time.

Please to forward me checking info soon so we can complete transaction.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It looks like the kind of message a sports writer might type when there's no editor to be found.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Speak for yourself (or your staff). My copy's clean, brother.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's the ticket right there. Maybe it's because I'm a stickler for proper grammar and punctuation, but when I see a consistent lack of the two -- as well as a space problem -- I immediately delete the e-mail. Maybe I'm wrong and it's not a scam. At least stupid people won't be getting my shit.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You tell him, Hulk.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So the scam is the steal the truck or what? Aren't there easier ways to steal a truck?

Draft saved Draft deleted