1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this ever OK?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by starrman, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm betting the beat writer in question is a "beloved" writer, which means he never stirs the pot or writes anything that could be perceived as a negative.

2. starrman

starrman New Member

Not sure how long Homer's been there -- apparently long enough to fall head over heels! Seriously, he's been with the same shop at least 7-8 years. Definitely long enough to know better.

By the way, thanks to all for their two cents -- I was pretty sure what the temperature of the room might be, but it's comforting to see that people who've been doing this longer than I have share my opinion of this.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How did this guy get a job as a reporter in the first place? His relationship with English is fleeting at best.

"put a smile on Coach's well-deserved face."

Huh?

Besides that, horrible.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Thanks Starman... kind of what I figured... hard to stomach... blech.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gag me with a pitchfork.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

No way this is right.
    I mean openly campaigning for the coach and to "urge, persuade, entice, beg" other coaches to vote for this particular one?
    Only if he ISN'T a member of the media.
    But as a journalist?
    Geez.
    No, no.
    Now I serve on several state and area Hall of Fame committees. We receive nominations for candidates. We have meetings to discuss and vote on those nominees.
    But no way do I or any of us on the committee send out a letter urging to vote for this particular candidate so he can reap such an honor, etc.
    Maybe a column could be used to list reasons that the fellow would be worthy of such an honor, but this letter to other coaches...gracious.

Draft saved Draft deleted