1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this even a story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42488215/ns/us_news-environment

To summarize - at a nuclear plant in Washington, a six-inch flame ignited for one second in a pipe nowhere near anything important at the plant, certainly nowhere near anything nuclear. And yet we have a story on msnbc decrying an 'unusual event'.

I know that given current events, more eyes are trained on the nuclear industry but this just seems sensationalistic and unworthy of a story. In my opinion, this is the kind of story that makes journalists and journalism look bad because it looks like we're just trying to stir up shit that isn't there. Thoughts?

2. I have a close friend who is an engineer at a nuclear plant. For years he has been telling me how upset he and his coworkers get at the shallow, simplified and often inaccurate coverage nuclear power plants get, and he's been getting nosebleeds lately when he reads about these things, saying they're beyond sensationalized and made needlessly scary by the press and politicians.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The nosebleeds are probably from radioactive contamination.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

It's not an event unless Michael Douglas captures secret footage of it.

Think you'll be seeing more stories like this if editorial decisions are based on page clicks?

5. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

A paper in our area has a nuclear plant within the coverage area. Since the Japan Tsunami, there has been at least one major article in the paper about the local nuclear plant every single day.

90% of the nuclear related content has been panicky and overblown. It's ridiculous.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I won't even bring this up with my brother-in-law, who runs shifts at a plant in Pennsylvania.

But then he's an Orioles' fan so we don't talk much

Draft saved Draft deleted