1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Classic Rock?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why do you hate boston and kansas? WHY?

2. lono

lono Active Member

My favorite early 90s album is "New Miserable Experience" by the Gin Blossoms.

Unfortunately, Doug Hopkins, the best writer in the band, got kicked out because of his alcoholism and shortly thereafter killed himself.

They've had several pleasant and utterly insignificant albums since then.

When Hopkins departed, they lost the heart and soul of the band, and the ballsiest writer by far.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

It wasn't THAT late. A little more than a decade in, right?

A great album (always loved "Ignoreland") but I still think REM was at or near its peak at that point.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

(not what you think - listen to at least the first two minutes)

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

REM jumped the shark (I hate that term but can't think of one better) for me with Green. I love everything before it, hate it and everything after.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There was never a 20-year rule for classic rock. I hate the Eagles, but they were all over the classic rock radio in the 1980s.
    People weren't sitting around in the 1970s listening to the Kingston Trio on album format radio.
    Classic-rock formatting is the descendent of album-rock format FM of the 1970s.
    But nobody was sitting around in 1985 yelling 'This song hasn't been out for even 10 years!' when a classic rock station played 'Hotel California.'
    They should have been yelling 'This song sucks,' but that's beside the point.

7. lono

lono Active Member

True that. Ditto for Boston, Journey, Styx, Kansas, etc., etc.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"And in the master's chambers, they gathered for the feast,
    They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast."

This line always made me laugh after I learned that the band Steely Dan -- whom the Eagles are referring to here -- apparently named itself after a dildo.

Don Henley, you need to get yourself some better eating utensils, my friend. Or at least date less beastly women. ;D

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Many, many bad songs of the 1970s were rampant on classic rock stations in the 1980s.
    But these that we name - Eagles, Boston, Styx, Journey (still sucking and more popular in the 1980s), Kansas, etc. - suck classicly.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We now know what Zeke has been doing with his spare time ... creating another handle.

:D ;D

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Green" blows, but "Automatic For the People" is fantastic.

They've been hit or miss since then, though, and the last four bored me to tears with just one or two bright spots per album.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I challenge you to a duel.

Draft saved Draft deleted