1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Classic Rock?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 3, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As well they should -- and I love both of those bands.

But their body of work isn't ever going to hold up to PJ's. Hell, they've got more platinum albums than some of those bands have albums, period. And that's after deliberately trying to drive down their audience.

They carried the torch for a good long while -- say, 1994-2002 -- when there just wasn't much else out there.

2. mudhoney > pearl jam

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ohhhhh, Immmma go to Lukin's...

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

A couple of better-than-average classic rock stations in S. Miss have been playing the likes of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains for years, along with the requisite Beatles, Stones, Who, ZZ Top, Grateful Dead, Doors, etc.

No Stooges or Ramones (or for that matter no Zappa, either), but you can't always get what you want.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Green Day, Foo Fighters, U2, Beastie Boys and Radiohead are all in the discussion for the 1990s, but I think Pearl Jam stands on top.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I put the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters right there with Pearl Jam. Actually, I put the Chili Peppers at the top and those other two just below.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I thought the same thing. I was in eighth grade cranking that on cassette on the bus.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've never understood why classic rock just beats the same old warhorses all the time: "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "A Day In The Life", "Roxanne", "Born To Run", "Money" whatever. You have artists with deep, deep catalogues and that's all they can find to play....

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I like the Peppers plenty, I guess I just don't consider them of the same generation.

Their first album came out in 1984 (granted, no one heard it). Mother's Milk came out in 1989. Blood Sugar came out in 1991.

But then, they go dormant until, what, 1999?

They definitely belong in the conversation, though.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I put them in that category since, as you say, they didn't really take off until the late-80s, early 90s. Also, I think that since the late-90s they've put out the best work of those three groups and that longevity means a lot in the argument.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Because they have the format down to a "science" and they believe that's what draws their audience. It's why I listen to college stations for music in the car.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That doesn't say much about its generation.

Draft saved Draft deleted