1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Classic Rock?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, today I'm cruising home from the doctor's and I here Pearl Jam's Jeremy on my "classic rock" station. This is a station that plays 60s, 70s and some 80s classic rock. The usual suspects (Stones, Doors, Beatles, The Boss, Petty, etc.)

But is Pearl Jam "classic" already? Why not Nirvana, then?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Oh, umm...I wouldn't consider it classic, yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Hell, at the speed media moves these days, anything older than five years or so is classic. The 90s? Probably.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on Classic Rock stations many times ...

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'll give 'em credit for playing something other than "Long Time" or "Carry On Wayward Son" for the eighteenth million time.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not classic rock. However, PJ is releasing several special editions of "10" at the end of the month. Could be on there to drum up publicity for that.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam becomes classic rock when the music we think of as classic rock starts getting played on oldies stations.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I hate Pearl Jam, but there were plenty of bands from the 1970s being played as classic rock during the 1980s.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I've been hearing PJ, Nirvana etc. on classic rock rotations for a few years now.

But for some reason you never hear the Sex Pistols, Ramones, Stooges or New York Dolls on classic rock radio.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't listen to the radio much anymnore but I swear Q107, the classic rock behemoth here in Toronto has only a handful of albums: The Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon, The Guess Who's Greatest Hits, Back In Black, Moving Pictures and the first Boston album.

Love the hungover idiots who call in on Saturday and Sunday mornings requesting "More Than A Feeling" or "Another Brick In The Wall". Fuck, man, dig out the 8-track.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yes, Pearl Jam and Nirvana are classic rock. So are the Clash and Sex Pistols.

So are the Beatles, who you never hear on radio at all anywhere anymore.

All of which is a major reason why I never listen to radio anymore.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually, you do hear the Beatles popping up on the oldies stations--at least their earlier, pre-Peppers stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted