1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this an NCAA violation?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rhody31, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

In the new LeBron commercial, the female basketball players is that girl Jaime Nared, who was banned from playing boys basketball in Oregon.
    Will she be allowed to play college basketball now? Nike might not be sponsoring her, but she obviously got the spot in the commerical because of her sport; isn't that a violation?
    Just curious ...

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

As long as she wasn't paid directly, I believe it's only a violation if they use her name or school in the commercial. Otherwise, she's like an unnamed extra in a move.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I figured they wouldn't pay her, but by giving her the spot because she's an athlete, isn't that a violation? What's to stop Nike from putting Tyler Hansborough in a random commercial? Or Tim Tebow?
    BTW, I have no problem with her being in the commercial. I'm just curious and was hoping there was someone here who could explain this.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nike used Tebow on it's Sparq Training website earlier this year. UF asked it to stop pretty quickly.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2008/04/uf-asks-company.html

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

We have had athletes from one powerhouse high school appear in print ads for a local training center. The school got "paid" in equipment and all the players are currently playing at decent 1-A football programs with no repercussions.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Did she get paid for it? This is from an '05-06 NCAA Manual:

NCAA amateur status may be lost as a result of activities prior to enrollment in college. If NCAA rules specify that an “individual” may or may not participate in
    certain activities, this term refers to a person prior to and subsequent to enrollment in a member institution.

12.1.1 General Status

An individual loses amateur status and thus shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition in a particular sport if the individual:

(a) Uses his or her athletics skill (directly or indirectly) for pay in any form in that sport;

7. Point of Order

12.1.1.4.10 Exception for Receipt of Free Equipment and Apparel Items by a Prospective Student-Athlete.

It is permissible for prospects (as opposed to student-athletes) to receive free equipment and apparel items for personal use from apparel or equipment manufacturers or distributors under the following circumstances:

(a) The apparel or equipment items are related to the prospect’s sport and are received directly from an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor;

(b) The prospect does not enter into an arrangement (e.g., open account) with an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor that permits the prospect to select apparel and equipment items from a commercial establishment of the manufacturer or distributor; and

(c) A member institution’s coach is not involved in any manner in identifying or assisting an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor in determining whether a prospect is to receive any apparel or equipment items.

8. My god.
    The NCAA Manual makes an SportsJournalists.com appearance.
    Or, as it is better known, The Protocols Of The Elders Of Dumbass.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But as what is the NCAA Manual known?

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Rule 1.0001.0101.1

We are douchebags.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ooooh, Cleveland State's women's team is in trooooooouble. ;D

12. Point of Order