1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this an ethical way to stage a magazine cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cadet, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I hear that same thing. Fully understood why lono asked the question, though. In Utopia, no one cares.

Out magazine isn't doing anything wrong, but I think it is in poor taste.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I'm guessing the magazine beleives Cooper/Foster would never challenge the assertions in court because they'd have to show the accusations were correct. So I'm assuming the magazine is certain that Cooper/Foster are gay.

That said, just because someone is quietly gay doesn't mean you *should* trumpet it for them. That should be their choice.

Then again, celebrity-focused TV and print outlets dig up this kind of dirt and more all the time and it's big business. I'd never heard of Out Magazine; now I have. That was probably the point of all this.

3. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Maybe it's an issue because we keep putting it on magazine covers trying to convince people it's a big deal.

Shit, who cares? Live your life, love your neighbor, leave shit in better condition than you found it. What color you are, what deity you do or don't worship and who you sleep with is inconsequential.

You want people to treat you normal, act normal. You want people to accept your differences, then accept them yourself, first.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

People who make such an issue out of sexual preference make me wonder if we'll ever reach the point where the tabloids and gossip rags (and magazines such as Out) and society at large aren't content to just keep it to straight or gay (or bi), but will instead try to find out whether certain people (straight or otherwise) enjoy toys, role play, fetishes, sex therapists, whether they need lubricants or a prescription to have intercourse, how often they have sex, etc.

When the anti-gay crowd starts crowing within earshot of me, I usually start asking what their favorite position is, how limber their wife is, whether they shout out pet names near or at climax, how often they perform oral, whether anal beads have ever made an appearance (and disappearance, of course), if spanking is ever involved, if they will show me their 'O' face, how their parents like to do it ... usually it stops the conversation pretty quickly.

Or ...

"That's none of your business, JD."

Exactly.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That shit was funny!

Also, agree with Boots that I'd never heard anything of the such about A. Cooper. And good points also buy SoCalScribe, but on the other hand maybe they're quite happy they made the magazine's cover. It helps them corral a huge & supportive gay audience (especially in Cooper's case) without them coming out.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It was clearly stated by IJAG and (I think) Carrie on the running Katrina thread (even as Anderson Cooper was standing five miles from my den, getting rained on in the name of journalism) that Mr. Cooper was gay -- and that it didn't stop the girls from loving them some Anderson Cooper.

Their report could have been erroneous, however.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The Gay and Lesbian community, in general, isn't often known for their restraint when it comes to 'outing' others. Never let discretion get in the way of personal agenda.

And I'm a liberal.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If people want their lives to be private, and they're not breaking any laws, they should be private.

What assholes.

9. yes

this really bugs the shit out of me

I guess because the same people would cry oppression and discrimination in a New York second

and they do this crap

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

You can't force people to pick up causes. I think people criticizing Woods and before that Michael Jordan are out of line.

I think what the Gay community is awful. They are damaging people's lives to further their own agenda.

I don't think you should expect a Gay person to be a gay rights advocate anymore that you can expect a black man to try and further black rights.

Not everyone can be Bille Jean King and Jim Brown. And it is incredibly unfair for these groups to expect that from them.

Why should Cooper and Foster have to pick up the homosexual agenda?

I would sue the magazine for libel if it were untrue.

You can't draft people into causes. You only get one life to live, homosexuals of all people should respect the life others want to live.

11. girl friday

girl friday Member

well said.

and i hope to hell OUT knows for damn sure that what they did is ok. it is not their right to make such a decision. to the best of my knowledge, Foster and Cooper are fine upstanding citizens. how they choose to live their life is their business, and it is their privilege that they be able to live their lives however they choose -- in the closet, out, or somewhere in between.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I really think OUT doesn't care. And that's the problem. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted