1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Is this an entry level position?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Apr 7, 2012.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's about 36 light years from what I posted, but thanks for playing.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

The problem, as I see it, that companies know that there is someone desperate enough for a gig in this screwed up business to take a "high profiled" gig at a bargain basement salary. Until the masses revolt, the trend will continue.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not to crossthread, but ehy the hell was the NFL Network paying Warren Sapp over $500,000?

Couldn't they have gotten him for a lot less, or some just as "good" as him?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

quite a humorous post, shots. i actually snorted a bit.

but the point i was making was this: so many people are to the point of just throwing their hands in the air and waving the white flag. i'd hope there would be a little more fight out of folks.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There probably was five or six years ago -- in fact I know there was -- but how much fight are people supposed to have, and for how long?

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, and flip-flopping a bit here, I know, but what's as bothersome as the defeatism is those people's apparent disgust with those who are not defeated.

Not everyone thinks the business is a dead end. And that really seems to piss others off.

(Cue stalker.)

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'd like to think not, shots ... but then again, i'm doing everything i can to leave the business.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

TV is a whole new beast...most of us on the writing side don't sign contracts and hire agents to negotiate them.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Agreed. TV is a different game, different rules, dofferent pay scale.

And the same applies for web-based companies.

Draft saved Draft deleted