1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this ad racist?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Aug 2, 2007.

?

Is it?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2007.
  1. Yes, it's outrageous

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No, I don't see anything wrong with it

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

They didn't even need the standing white guy. They could've just shown the image of sprinters in the office and communicated the same message.

But, No, I don't believe there was any racial intent whatsoever, but horrible execution that left plenty of room for that misinterpretation. And you'd think the people doing Intel's marketing would be savvy enough to understand that anything that possibly can be misinterpreted racially in today's world will be. Damn surprising nobody caught that before this was published.

2. boots

boots New Member

Probably no people of color on the campaign.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

"The Intel is the better chip, and he practices to be the better chip, and he's bred to be the better chip because this goes way back to the Binary period. The programmers would breed this big chip with this other big chip so he could have a bigger chip. That's where it all started."

[/Jimmy the Greek]

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes. i can see how it could be viewed as racist.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Generally, when this question comes up, my thought is there is someone looking for a reason to be indignant. In this case though, I think there's enough there to generate a legitimate gripe. I didn't immediately get the sprinter reference, and it did look like black guys bowing before a white guy.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Where's Chuck Taylor? He has the perfect animated gif for this situation.

7. I don't see anyone wearing a Nomex firesuit so I would say it's not at all racerist.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Racist or not, it certainly did not have the intended effect of trying to say "speed."

9. digger

digger New Member

How come none of the "sprinters'' are looking up like they would if they were about to start a race?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's hard to look up when you're bowing down to the white man.

11. boots

boots New Member

RACIST!

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Intel has issued another apology: http://www.intel.com/news/sprintad.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted