1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this ad racist?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Aug 2, 2007.

?

Is it?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2007.
  1. Yes, it's outrageous

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No, I don't see anything wrong with it

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. da el g

da el g Member

BRILLIANT!!

2. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Ah, the joy of advertising. I work in the magazine business now and it's a constant thorn in my side. All it takes is a few people to complain to the right people.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Most likely it could have been avoided if they'd had a black person look at the ad before they sent it out.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The ad had a 1984 vibe that creeped me out more then the race of the subservient class.

5. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Perhaps. We've had ads that many of our female staff members didn't find offensive at all and then gotten complaints once it runs. Forgetting this particular ad, there's an awful lot of gray about what's offensive.

6. boots

boots New Member

Black guys bowing down to a white guy, yeah I could see where some asswipe would call it racist.
    I don't think it was intended to be that way.
    Let's get Al Sharpton and Jesee Jackson to weigh in on this one.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, how can people not see this as racist?

You've got the white guy as boss, black guys as sprinters and they're in a photoshopped position to look as if they are bowing down to the white guy.

You can't say that they are in some kind of natural race postition because they would be running into each other.

I don't think it was intentional, but it's certainly stupid and insensitive and probably at least subconsciously racist.

You know these ad people put great stock into looking at the images and trying to get people to see what they want?

You think they just slapped some sprinters on there and no one thought to look at them to see what image it presented? Think its a coincidence that the runners are in black/yellow to look like busy little bees?

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Offensive on so many levels. Are they saying caucasians aren't good enough to be track sprinters as well?

9. statrat

statrat Member

As someone who typically scoffs at all the racism claims thrown around I'm gonna have to say that I couldn't blame someone for taking that ad the wrong way. I honestly could not tell they were sprinters. It looks like a bunch of black guys bowing down to their white master. They should have had them lined up on starting blocks behind him. Decent idea, awful execution.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Offensive? Hmmm... don't know but it sure as hell is one bad print ad.

I mean BRUTALLY BAD.

David Ogilvy just rolled over in his grave.

11. boots

boots New Member

All the subliminal stuff is there Ace. Your points are well taken. If some ass-jack went through the trouble to think this out the way you call it, then yes, the ad is racist.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a bad ad. The sprinters do look like they are bowing down and the self-satisfied look on the face of the honky middle manager doesn't help.

Draft saved Draft deleted