1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this ad racist?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Aug 2, 2007.

?

Is it?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2007.
  1. Yes, it's outrageous

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No, I don't see anything wrong with it

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

[​IMG]

Intel has pulled it after complaints: http://blogs.intel.com/views/2007/07/sprinter_ad.html

See also:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/advertising/intel-ad-might-be-racist-but-boy-does-it-make-me-want-a-core-2-duo-284037.php
    http://gawker.com/news/lies-will-disguised/intel-ad-stupid-or-stupid-and-racist-284292.php

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Not at all. It shows a bunch of runners ready to start a race symbolizing the speed of Intel.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Give. Me. A. Break. ::)

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Bowing down? They are in the start position prior to a sprint.

Is it racist? I don't think so.

Could they have used white sprinters, too? Yes.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I can see the intent of the ad may not have been racist but the composition is all wrong. Had they used a variety of races in the sprinter position, maybe.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'll be honest...until I read the comments of others on here, I didn't even realize all the people in the starting position were black.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It would help if you saw the sprinters' feet in the starting position. Just a badly laid-out ad that through its badness, leaves itself open to interpretation.

8. i'm sorry--that's not racist at all. a company like Intel is both ad/marketing savvy and has the money to pay for a top of the line ad agency....on top of that, Intel themselves would probably have to approve all advertising (I imagine)...the fact that this was created, approved, etc and probably seen by tons of smart, savvy people without alarms being raised proves (to me) that people who found this racist are seriously reaching...c'mon people--there are real racist acts in the world that needs to be fought...this is not one of them

my 2 cents

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Give the sprinters track shirts with numbers, put them behind the guy who was standing and it isn't. Otherwise, it looks like a buch of shirtless black men bowing down to whitey. I can see where someone could infer poor taste -- though I'm sure it was unintentional on Intel's part.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not racist, but it's insensitive to bald people, who have to bow down to some dweeb in khakis who is in charge simply because he has a thick, wavy head of hair.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

This will not end well once sportsbruh sees it.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't think it's intentionally racist, but I can see where it could be taken as such, and not by people who are reaching either. Course all they needed were some sprinters of different colors and nobody'd take it as racist at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted