1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a typo, or am I missing something here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

In a story on Yahoo about an obese mannequin, we are given the following line:

"Obese people being sold clothes?" said one typical post in favor of the mannequins. "That's just treating them like people."

Is it just me, or is that not at all in support of the mannequins, it's somebody making fun of them and obese people. Or am I missing something here?

It's a very poor choice of a post to quote by the author, regardless. I'm sure there were others that could have been used with less confusion.

http://gma.yahoo.com/obese-mannequin-offends-reddit-users-203056633--abc-news-topstories.html

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You're missing the sarcasm. It's akin to, "Women might control the vote? Next we're going to let them drive."

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Too bad they ruined a perfectly interesting news story by inserting reader comments.

I just don't understand why we insist on doing this. I'm fine with facts, and I am utterly bewildered why I should give a shit what "the blogsphere" is talking about.

I keep reading story about how this or that is viral or being discussed everywhere, but I never, ever have seen any passing mention in my internet escapades. Yeah, I choose to stay out of the loop, but I am not dead.

And seriously, almost everything could be quantified as "offends some." Slapping that on there doesn't make it newsworthy.

The fact mannequins are being made larger is fascinating to me, but forcing me to read through irrelevant comments about how JoeBob and SuzyQ feel about it makes me want to quit reading. And, in some cases, hurl.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I understand that the post was sarcastic. I don't understand the author of the article claiming it was a post in favor of the mannequin.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Because if someone was being sarcastic about how obese people shouldn't be allowed to purchase clothes, lest they consider themselves human, then it's probably understood said person would support a mannequin who looks like those people.

I'm a big girl. NOTHING is more frustrating than going into Lane Bryant and seeing clothes put on size 6 mannequins, clipped behind them to make it tighter on them, and then have me have to IMAGINE what it will look like on me. Just ridiculous.

6. "But ... but ... it's page views! It's more clicks! We're getting rich with all those clicks, I tell you! Rich!"

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My strategy in dealing with this when I am blogging about something creating a social stir is to get the news and facts out of the way, then at the bottom of the post include a list of some of the best comments from Twitter and other websites. The most visually attractive way to do it is with Storify. That makes it easier for readers like you (and me) to ignore what we don't care about while still serving those who want to see the one-liners and other commentary.

Draft saved Draft deleted