1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a record?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Nov 6, 2006.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly. The extra weeks of practice can sometimes mean more than playing the bowl game (See: any team that plays a bowl game in Seattle, Hawaii, etc.)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Alabama's shouldn't count; FIU and Duke?
    Vandy does far more with much less...

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Georgia's likely heading to Shreveport, where Mighty Mizzou has spent some time.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think the fact that the MAC had five bowl spots a couple of years ago is a greater accomplishment than the SEC having the potential to send 10 this year.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

. . . and probably will be again after taking the pipe against the 'Huskers.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Arkansas is a lock for the Cotton Bowl unless they somehow win the SEC.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Frankly, I like the Hawgs' chances of winning the SEC. They've got the biggest impact player on offense of any team in the conference in McFadden, and Florida really shouldn't scare anyone. Sugar Bowl for Arkansas.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ohio State drills Michigan
    Rutgers beats Louisville
    West Virginia beats Rutgers
    Pittsburgh beats West Virginia
    Alabama beats Auburn
    USC beats Cal
    USC beats Notre Dame
    UCLA beats USC
    Nebraska beats Texas
    Arkansas beats Florida

and plays Ohio State for the national championship

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not outside the realm of possibility, but that big loss to USC seems to scotch any shot at the Fiesta for Arkansas. Plus those are a lot of dominoes that have to fall.

Judging by their historical November swoons, Hogs are not even a lock for Sugar. Arkansas closes with Tennessee, Miss. State, LSU and Florida (if they get to SEC title game). If they beat Tennessee they will almost certainly go to Atlanta, but the Gators have owned them since Arkansas joined the league.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

How about you just go with "every other team ruled ineligible" ... because that's just as likely.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Remember how Nebraska got to the championship game in 2001?

I'm not ruling out anything at this point.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You can use a win over a I-AA (soon to be Championship subdivision) team every year. But just one. And 6-6 is good enough.

As far as teams turning down bowls, I think UCLA turned down an invite to the Boise bowl a few years back, saying that they'd actually lose money by taking the bid.

Draft saved Draft deleted