1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a record?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Nov 6, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What's the record for the most teams sent bowling by one conference?
    The SEC has seven teams - Florida, Tennesse, Georgia, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU and Alabama - all bowl eligible with six or more wins. Two teams - Kentucky and South Carolina - are at five wins and Vanderbilt still has a shot of getting in with four wins.
    Of the remaining games, Vandy has to win out, and would have to beat Kentucky this week and the Vols next to get in.
    South Carolina needs one win between Florida, Middle Tennessee, and Clemson. Middle is the best bet in that deal. While Kentucky is almost assuredly in with Louisiana-Monroe oe of the three remaining games. Vandy, as noted, is next week and the 'Cats close out the season with Tennessee.
    So without any stretch, the SEC should have at least nine teams being bowl-eligible and playing post-season football. And a 50-50 shot at 10 teams.
    So the question is, what's the record for the most bowl-eligible teams from one conference?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I stopped caring about bowl bids when the number of them began approaching half of all Division I-A teams.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

It will be interesting to see what happens in the SEC because so many of the teams will be at or around 6-6.

Are there enough low-level bowls to go around for all of them? And does a team like Georgia, which has been so good for the past five years, consider turning down something like the Independence Bowl?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing about Georgia. To start the season 6 and 0 and finish, maybe, 6 and 6.
    Anyway, I did some numbers, but I don't remember how many bowl games this season.

50 bowl-eligible teams now
    Big 12 (7)
    SEC (7)
    ACC (6)
    Big Ten (6)
    Big East (5)
    Pac-10 (5)
    WAC (4)
    Mid-American (3)
    C-USA (2)
    Mountain West (2)
    Major Independents (2)
    Sun Belt (1)

68 teams with five wins or more
    Big 12 (9)
    SEC (9)
    ACC (8)
    Big Ten (7)
    Big East (6)
    Pac-10 (6)
    C-USA (5)
    Mid-American (5)
    Mountain West (5)
    WAC (4)
    Sun Belt (2)
    Major Independents (2)

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Considering that you now need only six wins in 12 games, when it used to be six wins in 11 games, my guess is that there will be LOTS more bowl eligible teams this year.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Can Georgia (or any SEC team) turn down a bowl bid?

I know South Carolina and Clemson did a few years ago, but that was as a punishment for their teams' brawl in the season ender. I'm not sure the conference would appreciate a member school thinking it's too good for a minor bowl.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Unless they changed it, I believe the rule still stands that a team must have a winning record so 7-5 is bowl eligible, not 6-6.

6-6 will only get you in if there aren't enough teams at 7-5.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No, and bowl committees won't turn them down, either. How many fans would Georgia or Bama take to Vegas?

I'm not a smart man, but I can answer that. A fuckingshitload.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken, 6-6 gets you in now. The key is getting to six wins. You can even use a win over a I-AA school as one of the six every few years, I think.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From deep in the abyss of the NCAA Web site

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_postseason_football_handbook.pdf

The SEC has seven bowl contracts aside from the BCS. If Auburn gets an at large BCS berth, that would take care of nine teams. If No. 10 is 6-6, it is SOL.

11. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Georgia started an unimpressive 5-0, then got killed by Tennessee in the second half. The Dogs have gotten worse every game since.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No way Georgia turns down a bowl game, because it's a few weeks of practice they don't get otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted