1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a headline?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Irishcheesehead, Sep 4, 2010.

1. I see your points about questions. I think in the right situations, they can be used in headlines.

I just have a problem with a headline that says, "Pass on the run?" and the drop head states local team does not plan to abandon the run even though it can pass very well. So we answered the headline in the drop and we could have down something better.

Thanks for the input.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

For your coworker's headlines, you just have to go with a subhead. Don't mind Serve's Up as a head, as long as there's a subhead.

3. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla New Member

I have it on good authority that babies do, in fact, hate fat people. Do skinny adults hate fat babies? ... Wait, I just got a headline idea for our Health & Fitness page.

4. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

"Serve's Up" works as a headline for a feature on the start of the tournament. As for a regular game story/day roundup, I think it's not very good. In my opinion, it does nothing to draw in the reader.

One of the local papers here goes crazy with clever headlines. I'd say they hit the mark about 33 percent of the time. It's a slippery slope.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I went with "WTF?" after Jax State beat Ole Miss.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Headline writing is an entirely different beats online, too.

I think there you especially want to be careful not to reveal too much so the reader doesn't click into the story, and you also want to add SEO-friendly keywords.

So a successful online hed might be:

Was New England Patriots Tom Brady blasting Lady Gaga before scary car wreck?

7. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Haha! Yes!

I went with "Blanchard, Cocks go deep, bust Nutt in overtime"

Draft saved Draft deleted