1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a good reason to enjoy college basketball as opposed to the NBA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Devin, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Devin

Devin Member

Well, isn't it their job?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do not forget one thing: Being able to make something look easy also contributes to a perception of lack of effort. Ken Griffey Jr. would get frustrated when people would marvel about an outfielder making a diving catch. If they judged the ball quicker and more accurately, he argued, they wouldn't have had to dive. The game is easier for NBA players than it is for college players.

Even in comparing pros vs. pros, it's a little dangerous to attempt to diagnose effort from the seats. Rafael Nadal looks like he's giving more effort than Roger Federer. Jimmy Connors looked like he was giving more effort than Bjorn Borg. Were they? Of course not.

That being said . . .

Zone defenses are exciting?

Would a 30-second clock be better? Maybe. But the time was set at 24 many years ago because that was deemed to be the "average" possession. So if 24 was average in the good old days, why the need to extend it to 30?

5 fouls/40 minutes and 6 fouls/48 minutes both equal 1 foul/8 minutes. What's the problem?

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Not in the same league as "That Ooozing Sore Don't Scare Me"

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like college basketball more, but it surely isn't because I believe it to be anywhere close to the quality of the NBA. Those guys are fantastic. It just doesn't fit my eye until playoff time. Like you said, they're so good, it's just second nature to them. I'm one of those guys who loves when the British Open finishes at eight-over par. I like to see players strain to do things.

5. Devin

Devin Member

I watch a lot of NBA being a follower of the Chicago Bulls. I just don't get some of the reasoning why folks believe the college game is so much "purer" and "team-oriented" than the NBA game.

Sure, the sport and the athletes have flaws, but to say the college game is a better brand of basketball for the reasons my friend listed is just silly. I respect the college game like most of us on this board does, but never would I trash it because I like the NBA more.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To the original poster: This "conversation with a guy," did this take place in your bathroom mirror?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because people like to press this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

9. Devin

Devin Member

Oh, no. I try not to talk to myself in bathroom. Too creepy.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And he can't do two things at once.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget, in the NFL, a career can end and someone can be crippled for life on any play. In the NBA that doesn't happen.

NFL players have to go all out on every play, or they'd get hurt.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This was the first thing I thought of when I read the original post. The sixth foul complaint is just silly.

I think the NBA is more entertaining basketball in all times that aren't March Madness. But just MHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted