1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is this a freaky shoutout?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jul 5, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

so i'm sitting around the other day, visiting with a former colleague and best bud -- he was one of my wedding ushers -- and we began the ol' game of "whatever happened to...?"

one name came up of a woman i was friends with who was very attractive. we hung in the same circles at a former shop but never dated because a) we were involved with other people or b) when we weren't i was a bit intimidated by her intelligence and confidence.

anyway, we lost touch as happens. i got married and somewhere along the way she moved on in her career.

out of curiousity, i googled her name today. someone popped up who could be her (about same age, still in area). if it is her, her biz email was listed and i sent her one earlier today inquiring if she is the "joan doe" of my past life.

if it's not her, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. but if it is her, will she think my reaching out is stalker-like or okay? ??? ??? ???

one reason i ask is another former platonic galpal -- who i met working a summer job for three years, then befriended again when she attended my college and yet a third time at my former newpaper in the late '80s -- sent me an, "are you?" email a few weeks ago and we've been emailing ever since. she plans on visiting mrs. shockey and i this summer. it's been swell to reconnect.

what do y'all think of my attempt to reconnect with jane doe? ??? ??? ???

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Mrs. Shockey is cool with this?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't see anything strange about it -- and really, with the popularity of Facebook, I think a whole lot of people are getting emails like that these days.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Have you sent any creepy email to Derek Jeter?

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I think THIS would be a freaky shoutout:

You've been saying all the right things all night long
    But I can't seem to get you over here to help take this off
    Baby, can't you see? (see)
    How these clothes are fitting on me (me)
    And the heat coming from this beat (beat)
    I'm about to blow
    I don't think you know

I'm telling you loosen up my buttons baby (Uh huh)
    But you keep fronting (Uh)
    Saying what you going do to me (Uh huh)
    But I ain't seen nothing (Uh)

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

certainly not.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

she's cool with the old galpal who reached out to me. if i ever hear from jane doe and it is the same person why wouldn't she be cool with it? i'm not big on secrets around here.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

He would but teh herpes make it tough to type. [/crossthreading]

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i figure that would be my follow-up email. ;) 8) ::)

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in the other Facepalmbook thread, but I thought I found my high school crush a few days ago, and now that she's posted a profile photo, I know it's her for sure. But she's got nobody from our high school in her small circle of Facebook friends, save her sister, who was in a different class.

I asked her out my sophomore year, got (predictably) rejected, but I still liked her to the end, and we were actually pretty good friends my senior year (yeah, yeah, friend zone). We kept up a little as college freshmen (she went to the school Thomas Jefferson started; I went to the one that produced Moddy), but that was that. Haven't talked to her in probably 16 years.

If you were her and I tried to Facebook friend you, would you e-mace me?

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

nah. obviously, i vote "go for it." 8) 8) 8)

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mark Sanford said that his emailing started out innocently also.

Draft saved Draft deleted