1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a conflict of interest???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Aug 17, 2009.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

A friend of mine works at a paper that was sold less than two years ago. Publisher A sold the paper to Publisher B. The office manager at this paper has worked there for nine years. For the last few months, the office manager has talked about what a great guy she is dating, but would never name him. My friend, happen to stumble on the fact that the office manager is dating Publisher A. My friend wanted to know if this was a conflict of interest, and in addition if he should inform Publisher B about this situation. My gut feeling is that he should tell Publisher B. It is also my gut feeling that Office Manager dating Publisher A is a conflict of interest. Am I wrong? Have I steered my buddy wrong by telling him to tell his publisher?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If publisher A is no longer involved with the paper, then what difference does it make?

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I'll second IJAG's motion.

Maybe there's a minor question if Publisher A owns a competing newspaper, but if not, what's the problem? And why does your friend care? Is there something you're leaving out that we should know?

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

I guess I did. One reason my friend thought he might need to say something is the finances of the deal. No banks were used. Publisher B pays a monthly payment to Publisher A over a 10 year period, which means he's got over eight years left before he pays off the paper. The office manager handles the billing of advertisers and the banking for Publisher B. That's the biggest reason my friend thought he should ask for advice on whether to say anything or not.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tread lightly ... they might be swingers.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That does put a little intrigue into the equation, but I'm still in the MYOB camp. I'd be willing to bet there's a better chance of having an office manager ticked off at your friend than there is of heading off any kind of impropriety. And while both of those are bad things, I'd much rather get my paychecks and travel reimbursements delivered in a timely manner.

P.S., love your avatar.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Stay the hell out of it and tell your friend to do the same.
    This has nothing to do with ethics. This nobody's business but the people involved.

8. Am I the only one who had trouble following?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm just impressed chazp is posting on a thread less than two years after its start.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Normally I would say "if you have to ask then, yes, it is a conflict."

But not in this case. MYOB

11. Luke Brietzke

Luke Brietzke New Member

As the great Preston "Bodie" Broadus once said: "I don't know shit about shit. But I do know this: Anybody who spends their time witnessin' shit, you gonna get got."

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I quote Delonte West, the Bard of Cleveland, when I add: "Snitches get stitches." :p

Seriously, MYOB. However, if I was the office manager, I would say something to B.

Draft saved Draft deleted