1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a conflict of interest?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 19, 2007.

1. http://www.post-gazette.com/

This is a link to this morning's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    Check out the lead photo.
    Picture is of the rescued autistic hiker who was found after being lost four days in the West Virginia wilderness.
    The photo was taken inside an ambulance and is credited to Dr. Laura Linger.

Two questions.

1. Is this a conflict of interest? Dr. Linger taking photos of the boy inside an ambulance?
    2. Why is she credited as a doctor in the photos? Why not just Laura Linger? Does being a doctor make her more or less credible as a photographer?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't see any conflict.

She's credited as a doctor because that's the usual honorific. Has nothing to do with her credibility as a photographer.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How would it be? I had a professor once who went by Doctor Shumate, but she is not an actual doctor.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Maybe Dr. Laura Linger is pissed because the Post-Gazette gave the photo credit to Dr. Linda Linger.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Doesn't the P-G have some new policy on using people's titles?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

KY, are you using blue font?

If you receive a Doctoral degree in a subject, then you are allowed (and should) use Dr. in front of your name. Hopefully the school district you live in has some "doctors" working there. Although, those doctors cannot write a perscription.

If this is an ethics problem, it is in the arena of doctors, and not journalists. If Dr. Linger wants to take a picture where photog is not allowed, the newspaper running the pic is perfectly fine.

Honestly, I do not think a photog should be allowed to get that close to a patient, even with a zoom lens. There is something very personal about having active medical work being done on a victim in an enclosed area. You are hitting the slippery slope with both feet if you choose to take that picture.

With the Dr. taking the pic, the slope is not so slippery.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Personally I think people with Phd's who want people to call them "Doctor" are full of themselves.

But they're allowed, as 93D says.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The real Dr. Laura knows something about photography, does she not?

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That was the exact thing one of my English profs said. He has a Ph.D. and yet he didn't have anyone call him Doctor.

Some of my interns call me Mr. [Last name]. I don't even like that.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh I haaaaaaate being called Mr., or even sir.

BTW, a couple of the area fire departments here will send photos from some big fires that happen to help out the media. Like last week, something happened at like 8 a.m. on a Saturday, and so they tossed a couple of shots in to help out newspapers. Other times, when there's been a major fire, even TV stations will run still shots sent by the fire departments.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with Mister.

"Old man" is quite another thing.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm still in my 20's. I don't consider myself a Mr.

Draft saved Draft deleted