1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a "calling" for you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yep.

Right now, journalism is that house in the Amityville Horror, hissing at Rod Steiger.

2. Mediator

Mediator Member

"Hi, this is journalism. I'm breaking up with you, I always hated you and I want the keys to my apartment back."

3. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I've found this to be a calling. I tell people that I'd do this for nothing -- in fact, I almost do.
    But one of my former co-workers said that they look for true believers, and try to brainwash them into thinking that we're doing the Lord's work. Then they can do to us whatever they want.
    Low wages? It's your calling
    Lousy hours and holidays? Sure
    Perpetual fear of getting shitcanned through no fault of your own? But you love what you do

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"By the way, I've maxed out all your credit cards and I'm keeping the ring..."

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"...and don't forget to give me back my black T-shirt."

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Definitely a calling, have never imagined being anything else. OK, maybe I thought about being a trucker when I was 12, but other than that...

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

If you treat it as a business and stand up for what's right for you, they'll remind you it's a calling and that numerous other people will be happy to do the work on the proscribed wage and schedule. And if you treat it like it's a calling, like there's nothing else you've ever wanted to do, they'll remind you it's a business as they're signing your meager buyout check.

8. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

9. td truckers

td truckers Member

It's a calling for me, no doubt about it...this profession found me.

I did not go to college at all and get anything remotely close to a post-high school education. Just for the heck of it started as a stringer for a nearby paper doing high school football and basketball in 2003. Just under three years later, I had a full-time salary job after my three years of stringing with zero experience and I haven't looked back since...

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hold on, hold on, food stamps are calling me.

i'll get back with you. food stamps await.

11. This kid clearly sees it as a calling:

"I'd rather have a roller-coaster marriage with journalism, filled with love and passion, than an empty relationship in law, PR or business, where there is money, but no sparks," wrote Jennings, a recent graduate of the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, in an edition of UNITY NEWS.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jul/27/our-next-journalism-generation-is-fearless/

Personally, I think it's generalizing to say that there are "no sparks" in law or business (notice what I left out!). Unless the kid means just for him, but I don't feel like he did.

12. I want to add a postscript to Mr. Jennings' statement, now that I've a few minutes to ruminate.

I hope he and others understand that those of us leaving aren't just leaving for a money grab or because we don't have the patience to just "do what you love" through thick and thin.

A big problem is that we don't get to do the kind of journalism that excites his "love and passion." So when you're not getting paid AND you're not getting to do the kind of work you want to do with the resources and manpower and managerial support it takes to get it done, what's the point?

I'm leaving, and it very much has as much to do with the shrinking newshole and slashed travel budget and shackles on upward mobility in the profession as it does the better money in my next profession.

If the opportunity is there to do the kind of journalism I want to be able to do, I would definitely come back.

Draft saved Draft deleted