1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a bad reply?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Had a father e-mail me today that I am "not fair or impartial" in regards to a golf story. Basically, he was pissed because his daughter finished in second place in this tournament and my lede and about 75 percent of the story was about the boys, not girls. I wish I could go to his job and complain about the way he does things, but I can't.
    Anyways, I replied to his e-mail by saying "Thanks for the read." Is this bad? I always reply to e-mails, both good and bad, by saying thanks for reading my story. I do appreciate people taking the time and reading my work.

2. Shoulda told him that you would cover girls golf better if they wore the spandex tights like they do in volleyball. :D

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I always tell people thank you for reading, whether they're being kind or an ass.

At least they're reading.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No explanation you give, no matter how logical, is going to satisfy him. "Thanks for reading" sounds really, really patronizing. Your logical solution is this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Is that all you said? I don't know that being that glib was such a good idea, especially since, as you said on another thread, you're a part-timer.

6. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I say something similar everytime someone writes to me as well. It's really interesting, because I have to resist the urge to tell some of the people to fuck off.

7. I really do not care what the guy thinks. He can think what he wants ...

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

As long as they aren't being irate/obscene, I always try to offer a reply to someone with a complaint, no matter how silly that complaint might sound to me.

I think we owe that much to our readers.

I would have sent the guy a reply, politely explaining why you wrote it the way you did, and that would be that.

If all you said was "thanks for reading" -- period -- yeah, that was kind of dickish. We shouldn't act like we're above questions or criticisms. You don't have a write a novel, but a couple of sentences explaining why you did what you did would have been, you know, just basic customer service.

9. I replied again and explained myself. I told him I did appreciate the read, again.

Thanks for the help, all.

10. On second thought, I've covered some pretty hefty female golfers.

Maybe that wasn't such a good idea after all.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

Good answer.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I disagree. It's not patronizing, it's condescending.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted