1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such thing as ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newsguyone, Feb 7, 2007.

1. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

A word processing program with a built in AP Style Guide ...
    I know AP has an online styleguide for $20 a year, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for.
    I'd much rather have a word processer. You do your spell check, then you do your AP check ...

I did some google work and found something about a 1992 Electronic AP Style Guide, but haven't seen any recent attempt ...

And yes, I'm lazy and would rather not committ the AP Style Guide to memory.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've never heard of an interactive style guide, although it would seem to be a good thing for AP to consider.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Are you fist-fucking me?

No, there is no such program.

Now throw a stylebook in the shitter and read a few pages every time you take a dump. You have to learn it to work in this business.

And since your paper will modify AP style as it sees fit, and the AP will constantly change stuff, you have to keep relearning it.

Deal.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And then, newsguy, there's the hard-line view. ::)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Read the guide. If you find some sections difficult, you might try tattoing them on your forearm.

You'll look hip from a distance.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

While I admit, I did my most curmudgeonly self there, some shit needs to head the way of the dude who doesn't want to learn AP style but wants to work in the business, right?

Sorry, newsguy. Just learn the stuff. Most of it has a logic to it that will make it easier. You don't have to memorize it by rote.

Oh, and its RBI, not RBIs, no matter what the book says.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You don't have to memorize the entire stylebook, but for God's sake, just take the week and a half necessary to have a pretty thorough understanding. Then buy two copies -- one for your desk at work and one for your home office -- so you can refer to it as often as necessary.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm about the most anal style guy I know, and I've NEVER "read" the AP styleguide. You learn as you go -- and one's sitting about two feet to my right. There are some things I have to look up every time. No big deal.

9. Or, apparently, learn how to spell commit. ;)

10. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

Fucking copy editors.

Sheesh.

Hey. I work at a small paper. I'm the only game in town. I do the meetings. I do the sports. I do the pictures. I do the pagination.
    I do the obits, the birth announcements, the engagements.

Forgive me for wanting something that might help the day go a bit smoother.

Cocksuckers.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think it's worth reading it. As Zeke said, there is a logic to it, and there is the key. I liken it to the difference between, say, memorizing laws and going to law school to understand the logic to the laws. At virtually every major metro, there will be either a unique stylebook or a long list of exceptions to AP, so memorizing AP won't do you much good. But understanding the basis for style will do you lots of good. Studying AP style is like studying Latin -- French, Italian and Spanish are all different, but they are derivative of Latin, so Latin will help you.

Whenever I've taken a desk job, I've acquainted myself with the newspaper's stylebook by doing one letter a day -- A's today, B's tomorrow, etc. Plus I'd be looking stuff up as I edited. In about a month I'd be up to speed, and then it's pretty much done.

Style is important for writers because your copy will be treated with more respect if you show command of the basics. You'll be considered a slob if you can't even get the style things right in, say, soccer if you are a soccer writer. Do at least that much.

12. Did I hit a nerve, sweetie?

Putting a smiley means I was just busting your balls, not calling you out.

Enjoy life at your one-man shop, newbie. With your attitude, I'm sure you'll move up in no time.

Draft saved Draft deleted