1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there something wrong with this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, Sep 15, 2007.

1. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I can't see how this is a bad thing. I would love to be able to spend more time hanging around practice during the week. That's how you build sources and break news - the more people get used to/comfortable with talking to you and seeing you around, the more likely they are to trust you/throw some news tips your way/accomodate you when you have specific requests

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

I agree with what everyone's saying, but I suppose it just seems weird that I'm expected to go hang out at a library or coffee shop and wait for something to happen or go to cover something then hang out and work at said coffee shop or library.

I know I'm lucky enough to even have this as an option, so I've got that going for me.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Uh, why would you hang at a coffee shop or a library? Go to practice. Go to the athletic department. Go where the news is.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You don't get it.

You don't wait for something to happen.

You find it.

Then you write the story on your laptop.

Hell, I used to try to live in the town I covered.

Spending time in offices, stores, etc., gets you sources. Sources get you news.

5. Magnum

Magnum Member

I'm in a similar situation, Broth. I'm at least a half-hour from my beat so the laptop is a godsend. I also get to take mine home with me.

The only time this becomes a con is when the editors inexplicably decide you AREN"T around enough and they ask you to spend more time in the office. Sounds strange but I've seen it happen plenty of times. It's just human nature, I suppose, for editors to want more face time. It's cyclical. All in all, though, I'd say you got yourself a good deal. Enjoy the freedom. It's one of our perks.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This could be a bad thing, depending on the beat. I mean honestly, if you're a preps writer what are you going to do? Bring a folding chair to a field hockey practice?
    Plus, wouldn't it look kind of funny if you were hanging around high school practices a lot?

But if you have the right beat, like a college or city beat, this would be fantastic. Hell I'd camp out all day at college campus if I was covering a team there -- especially a big sport.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Even desk jockeys understand that news happens away from the desk. Just basic interviews are better managed in person rather than on the phone, let alone seeking and reporting actual news.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

might i suggest looking in the mirror and deciding if you're cut out to be a reporter? not trying to be a dick here but your posts on this topic, especially this one, just don't add up to someone who has a clue about their job.

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

I'd like to think I've got a clue. And as it might be of some kind of interest, I cover news. So, I generally know (most of the time) when things are happening that I need to cover, etc. I suppose it's not exactly the same as with covering prep sports or whatnot.

Like I said before, I have no problem with this, but it's also just as easy for me to be at the office and take off as it would be for me to be around my beat (two nearby towns) and see what's going on.

10. Broth, it's a blessing. Just hope they let you use more minutes on the cellphone. No one could figure out why my cellphone minutes went up when I went mobile without a bureau ...

11. BRoth

BRoth Member

That's what I think bugged me most. The fact that I don't have a central location to work out of. I've heard from other writers that they deduct a small percentage of their bills from their taxes for things like cell phones just because they're often used for work purposes. Chances are, I'll be doing the same.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why don't you buy a cell just for work?

Draft saved Draft deleted