1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There Any More Loyalty in this Business?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fuh Real, Oct 9, 2007.

1. captzulu

captzulu Member

I've worked at some places for years through thick and thin and turned down other job offers to stay there for longer than I probably should have, out of loyalty; and I've also left places after a few months. My principle is this: Loyalty is earned, not freely given. The "I gave you your shot" argument is BS. Hiring someone doesn't earn you loyalty. A comapny doesn't go seek out people and hire them because it feels inclined to help them get their career started. It hires people because they can fit the company's needs. It's what you do after you hire someone that earns their loyalty, and if a company has no qualms about laying off someone a few months after it hired them, or treats them like crap once they start their jobs, then it shouldn't expect nor deserve any greater level of reciprocation.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Loyalty is for suckers.

Inertia is 10 times more effective.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Not in the Maritimes, there is no loyalty. Especially thanks to the Aspers:

http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=68623&sc=89

Many of my friends and professors are affected by this. They want to broadcast the news from Vancouver. What a farce

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

People who are loyal end up getting fucked over much more than those who think about themselves first in this business.

It reminds me of some advice I got early in my career...

Don't love your paper because it won't love you back.

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Be loyal to yourself. No one else will be.

6. boots

boots New Member

I'm loyal to Ben Franklin. This business is full of cynics and backstabbers. You have to look out for number one. Get the best deal that you can get. I think we've all see people here today and gone tomorrow at the office. You could easily be in that situation. Don't EVER think think that you are not replaceable.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The graveyards are full of indispensible men.

8. boots

boots New Member

Check this out. Look in your newsroom and count the number of men over 55. Chances are there aren't many. Why? Because journalism eats its young.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sometimes loyalty can hinder a shop, when a boss holds onto a worker who very clearly has lost his fastball and has no desire to recover it.

I think there should be loyalty. If a place makes a commitment to me, I'll do my best to return the favor . . . at least as long as I can.

But no, there is no loyalty. The corporate honchos would throw you out without hesitation. It's unfortunate, because I think there can be loyalty within the newsroom, but ultimately individuals need to cover themesleves and do what is best for them.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Was it more money? Was it a better job? Was it what you really wanted?
    Better is of course subjective, but it sounds like the answer would be yes to all three and, if accurate, you made a mistake.
    The paper you work at now took advantage of you. Sorry.
    And karma isn't real. Just something used as an excuse to make you feel better.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I disagree. Kind of.

Go out of your way to be a decent person. I left one shop in a huff, because my boss decided to be a tool once I gave my notice. It's come back to bite me in the behind.

12. boots

boots New Member

That's not karma. You made a bad decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted