1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the state of Florida's cfb dominance over?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by scribebaseball, Nov 25, 2006.

1. While I was growing up, it seemed that for at least about two decades that the holy trinity of Miami-Florida State-Florida ruled the college football world. They were the most glamorous programs - the ones that every high school kid in America wanted to play at - as well as the most talented, successful, etc. It seemed so self-sustaining during those years that I really never could envision it ending. Maybe people felt the same way about, say, Alabama in Bear's days.

But with FSU and the U both 6-6 this year and with the coaching jobs at both schools a mess, I think that era may be over for good. It just seems like balance of power has shifted from that state to the midwest with Michigan and Ohio State and of course USC.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think it's dead yet.

Florida floundered for a couple of seasons, but now appear to be strong again, and Meyer is going a good job of keeping the best recruits in-state. I think Miami will be able to do the same thing when they get a new coach installed, and FSU is going to be a lot better next season with a new offensive coordinator and, hopefully, a lack of injuries which have hurt them a lot this year.

I think the difference from say 10-20 years ago is the reductions of the number of scholarships has meant if one or more os your studs goes down, you don't have them another one to replace them anymore.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

What do you guys think FSU should do with their quarterback situation? Should they start X.Lee or Weatherford?

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Jeff Bowden would screw up Montana, Marino and Unitas so it doesn't matter who starts.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I so hope the Hogs beat Florida in the SEC championship. The Gators are 1-loss frauds.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure anyone with an 11-1 record and victories over FSU, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee could be considered a fraud.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

FSU is terrible, Alabama is terrible, Georgia ain't so good and UF had no business beating a medicore South Carolina team at home. The Gators are not as good as their record.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Getting back to Chuck's question, I would wait to see who the new OC is before deciding on who should start game one at QB next year.

The thing is, I don't think who's at QB is the issue for FSU right now. For me, it's the lack of a running game thanks to an offensive line that doesn't appear to be able to open holes. If the Noles can fix the front five, a lot of issues could be resolved quickly, because the defense is still pretty good.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Fucking delirious crybaby.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So should they stay home and hide their heads in shame?

They did win their division. Think they should show up in Atlanta next week to play Arkansas? Or just give up and concentrate on basketball season?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

FSU and Alabama are 6-6 and don't play patsy schedules. That's not terrible. Mediocre, perhaps, but statistically, not terrible. FSU did beat Miami (yeah, you're going to give me a song and dance on the 'Canes being "terrible," but they're also 6-6, not "terrible.")
    South Carolina had a winning season and beat Clemson on the road today. Georgia just closed out Georgia Tech, which will be in the ACC championship game next week.

Sounds like you might be bitter for some reason or another.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

While all three of the schools you names are having average seasons in relations to the names of the schools, it doesn't make them Georgia State, Alabama A&M and Florida International.

And just as I finish typing, Georgia bumps off G. Tech 15-12. Some bad losses for UGA this year, but wins against a ranked Tech and a blowout of Auburn do provide a silver lining. SEC seems to be getting the better of the rivalry games today.

Draft saved Draft deleted