1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Oregonian's other shoe about to drop?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jun 17, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, if I'm paying (for example) $7 a week for the seven-day Oregonian, do I now get a price break to $4 since it's only being delivered four days a week?

Too bad. Oregonian's doing a great job on the College World Series and still has a quality sports staff. It's not as big or as good as it once was, but what newspaper is?

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Newsroom layoffs will begin immediately and will be "significant": https://twitter.com/annargriff/statuses/347773520954155008

3. CNY

CNY Member

Lots of veterans were let go yesterday, and it continues today. Pretty ugly.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One reporter got the call while he was in Omaha for the College World Series. (OSU playing right now.)

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Few more details from local weekly. Tip of cap to readers?

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-30344-more_than_35_newsroom_staff_laid_off_at_the_oregonian.html

6. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

At least three laid off in sports. Two of them 30+ years at the paper.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From the first sentence of the publisher's letter:

Seeing that reminds me of the scene from Independence Day when the hippy scientist at Area 51 tells President Pullman that since the aliens arrived, the last couple of days had been really exciting. The president, of course, rightly rips his ass because millions of people have died.

That publisher is an absolute douche for writing that. "Exciting?" 35 people are losing their fucking livelihoods and this jackass thinks it's "exciting"?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That's fucking disgusting, pardon my French. You'd think they knew he was on the list so why send him? Oh wait, that would require having a brain.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not to defend it, but that presentation is organization-wide. He didn't think that up himself.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Paul Buker, Jim Beseda and John Hunt from sports so far. All long-time veterans. Ryan White, ex-sports now in books/music. A great photo guy in Ross Hamilton. HUnt and Hamilton were in Omaha. Or so I'm hearing.

Laid-off columnist David Sarashon was the only reason to read the editorial page.

11. CNY

CNY Member

Ryan wrote this today: http://ryanwwhite.tumblr.com/post/53530454660/thanks-or-the-hopefully-not-too-long-or-for-long

I spent 6+ years at The O, and this is really tough for me. So I can't imagine what it's like for the folks directly affected.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stay classy Oregonian.

Positively brutal.

Draft saved Draft deleted