1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is the New York Post national media?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 13, 2014.

1. KVV

KVV Member

Oh trust me, they do.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The horror! The ignominy!

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP 3m
    Thanks to the Browns, I'm at the Jets' rookie minicamp today.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oh, I know... I covered a guy who said no to ESPN semi-regularly. I'm sure the Pats say no to ESPN regularly. I think a lot of cases (Pats may be an exception) is the player saying no and not the team.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Parcells was a beauty at this. When he was with the Pats, he'd make extra time for all the New York media while limiting us Boston guys to the league minimum. When he went to the Jets, it was just the reverse.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Probably depends on what is being asked.

Talking to Brady on the practice field is different than getting a 12 hour ride along to see how he spends his day, for example.

Tough to give one-on-ones during camp due to time. You get 45 minutes with RGIII by yourself, that is screwing a lot of other outlets.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember a writer from one of the smallest papers that covered the team I did complaining that Peter King was able to come in and get an interview with a player we covered who hadn't talked all camp.

None of us were happy about it but we understood it.

This guy went up to the PR guy and said, "How come I can't get an hour with (player) and the PR guy shouted in his face, "BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT PETER KING!!!"

It was a dick move by the PR guy, but the writer in question was such a whiny douche that we all laughed...

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Whiny douches need that hour to get a good question or two in between all the douchey questions.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Or, it can go the other way. National guys, especially, the ESPN variety, often get one-on-ones when local media get limited or no access to a player.
    However, we keep our whining restricted to the bar, and not on our newspapers pages.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, a couple of things...
    1. An expectation that it would be a positive story? Hubbuch can't make those kind of promises to himself or anyone else and I don't blame an NFL team for not trusting him as far as they can throw him.
    2. The Browns are hardly the first NFL team to try and defuse a "circus."
    3. The Browns posting any kind of media restrictions has nothing to do with their past woes and will have nothing to do with any future problems.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Good Lord, man, let it go.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jarrett Bell in USA Today:

12. Joe Lapointe

Joe Lapointe Member

Mr. Bell is right. High-handed media "handlers" will slowly erode good will. Coverage will suffer. Eventually, the product will suffer. We need not go back to the days in Chicago, when George Halas used to bring free buffet spreads into the sports departments and hand out free tickets. (The old-timers told me about it back when I was a rookie on the copy desk). But reporters can gain insight and write good stories by doing more than quoting rookies. They can observe. They can write what they see. If they don't get that opportunity, maybe they'll spend their time writing about sweetheart stadium deals and tax breaks for millionaire owners. I'd love to read more of those stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted