1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Media Vilifying Black Athletes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsbruh, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

America does not have to tarnish athletes of any color, they are doing a fine job on their own.

Vick did not kill anyone but Rae Caruth sure did.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the media may villify athletes who happen to be black. There is a perception that an athlete who makes a lot of money, especially one whose athletic ability provides the promise of a life most would only dream of, should be grateful for the opportunity and keep his or her nose clean. What I think is less understood by people in the media is that that athlete's selfishness and drive to go after and get whatever they want, may help them achieve their goals on the field, but can lead to trouble off it.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Step back from the argument for a moment and think about the relative fame of the athletes being discussed.

Vick — One of the top 5 most famous quarterbacks in the NFL, and of of two major, major black star QBs, the other being McNabb.
    Bonds — Unquestionably the most famous player in the game.
    OJ — An iconic running back during the NFL's first major rise to prominence.

I, being white, cannot think of white athletes who parallel their behavior. Sure, you can attribute Vick's crime to his culture or upbringing. Sure, you can attribute Bonds' crime to it being a white lie, or that everybody else was doing it. Sure, you can say that OJ got off the hook.

But, really, I think it's the media villifyiing prominent athletes who break the law in a heinous mattter. Shit, the hailstorm after JAyson Williams and the shotgun went away in days. And he killed a guy! If Williams was the star center fr the Boston Celtics, it'[d receive more play than it did, no?

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

You forgot Todd Marinovich

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

7. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

It's because they are RICH, BLACK AND COCKY!!!

The Media would give a pass to a humble black man. No matter what he have done. he won't get the press of O.J. (deserved) Mike Vick (undeserved) or Barry Bonds (undeserved)

Why????

Vick is a THREAT to the establishment - the establishment of the "WHITE QUARTERBACK"

Bonds says he'll rather Break Babe Ruth's Record than Hanks.

O.J. the audacity to marry and kill a beautiful white woman.

The unconscious Racist can't see himself being racist.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I would think anyone who's unconscious would have trouble seeing himself do anything.

9. awesome

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

But Donovan McNabb, Vince Young, David Garrard, Tarvaris Jackson, Jason Campbell, Daunte Culpepper and Steve McNair, among others, aren't.

Which sounds like Barry's problem, not society's.

Somehow, I think a rich, famous ex-football star (with tons of endorsements) turned broadcaster/movie star would get plenty of attention when brought up on murder charges regardless of what color he was or what color his victim was. Call me naive. Hey, Robert Blake got all kinds of negative pub and he was a washed-up former has-been.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

And THE BLACKMAN will CONTINUE TO RISE!

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My issue with this is that I want McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro etc... all investigated the same way Bonds was...

It's not a race issue at all. Bonds is being targeted because he's baseball's new HR king and the best player of the last 30 years... He's also targeted because he's a jerk and the media, for the most part, can't stand him...

That's unfair... I completely believe that Bonds juiced, but I want the other guys investigated as well and I'm still holding out hope that that happens...

Draft saved Draft deleted